Weston boss ‘perplexed’ after seventh straight league loss

WESTON boss Craig Laird says he is ‘perplexed’ by his team’s dramatic loss of form but insists the Seagulls will bounce back stronger as a result.

Following Tuesday night’s 2-0 loss to Welling United the team have now lost seven Blue Square matches on the trot and Laird admits it will be almost impossible for the team to now achieve a play-off spot.

Seagulls’ fans can at least look forward to the semi-finals of the Somerset Premier Cup after a 2-0 away victory over Frome Town in the quarter-finals.

Goals from Nabi Diallo and Chris Young within the opening 15 minutes saw off the Evostik League Southern side and put Weston through to a tie against Brislington on April 2.

Weston are now favourites to retain the cup, as both Blue Square Premier side Bath City and League One Yeovil Town have already been knocked out.

You may also want to watch:

But Saturday’s 4-0 home loss to Dorchester Town was labelled ‘the worst-ever by a team under my care’ by Laird, with the Seagulls on the back foot from kick-off.

Tom Nichols scored their first after 13 minutes and this was followed up in the first half by Kyle Critchell and Sam Malsom and Ryan Dovell after 74 minutes.

Most Read

After the match Laird said: “The first half performance was simply not good enough, and although we were better in the second half it was too late.”

Looking to put that result behind them, Weston travelled to third-placed Welling on Tuesday and put in a much-improved performance.

Despite missing skipper Ben Kirk, Marcus Duharty, Mark McGregor and Nabi Diallo, the Seagulls gave as good as they got, and only fell behind to a spectacular 30-yard free-kick from Jack Parkinson after 35 minutes.

Welling struck again after 50 minutes, when an attempted clearance bounced off a Weston player and fell kindly to Loick Pires, who easily scored.

Weston had strong claims for a penalty ignored by referee Lee Betts late on, when Sahr Kabba was sent sprawling by home goalkeeper Craig Holloway, only for the referee to give a goal kick.

Although Weston had a couple of decent efforts in the second half, they were unable to beat Holloway.

Laird said: “That was a much better performance and we might have got something out of the game had we had refereeing decisions and a little bit of luck go our way.

“That’s just the way it’s going at the moment, we’re not getting the rub of the green or that bit of luck you sometimes need.

“I’m a bit perplexed by this run really. Apart from Saturday, when we weren’t good enough, we haven’t played badly but we haven’t had the luck, and teams have sussed us out a little.

“But we’re not down at all – the players and management are all positive and I know that we will bounce back as a much better team because of this run.”

Laird added that he was hopeful of adding three more players – a defender, a ball-winning midfielder and a striker – in the next few weeks, but admitted that the club would probably have to wait until the summer to make the signings.

Weston will look to make a return to winning ways at home to bottom club Thurrock on Saturday at 3pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter