Weston boss set to lead England football team
- Credit: Archant
WESTON manager Craig Laird is set to take charge of the England team this week.
However Roy Hodgson need not worry because Laird, a proud Scotsman, has been asked to help with preparations for the England C team – an international side made up of non-league players
Laird said it was an ‘honour and a privilege for myself and the club’ as he will select an England FA representative side to take on a Devon FA side, as part of the county’s 125-year anniversary celebration.
Weston’s involvement will not just be limited to the manager, with Laird planning to use several of his own players at Newton Abbott’s Coach Road ground on Wednesday.
England C manager Paul Fairclough will use the match to look at players from the South West who are eligible for next month’s friendly against the Czech Republic and the forthcoming international challenge trophy.
You may also want to watch:
Laird said: “There is no reason why some of our boys cannot go on to represent the full England C side. They are certainly good enough.
“International recognition is the pinnacle of anyone’s career and my lads are no different.”
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 4 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 5 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 6 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 7 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
- 8 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 9 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 10 Blue plaque installed for famous actress