Weston boss warns against complacency after fourth-straight win

WESTON’S super Seagulls kept up their play-off push by swatting aside Basingstoke to record their fourth win in a row.

Their 5-2 win at home saw them leap up to seventh in the Blue Square South table, only one point shy of a play-off spot.

Craig Laird’s charges were without the suspended Jamie Laird and injured Jamie Price for Basingstoke’s visit, while on-loan Stoke City defender Manny Parry had a travel nightmare in trying to get to the match from his London home.

Thinking the match was at Basingstoke, his parent club had bought him a ticket for the town Hampshire, and he only realised he had been sent to the wrong place when the train arrived there.

The club hastily arranged a taxi for him, and he arrived at the Woodspring after half-time, but still managed to come on as a 57th minute substitute.

You may also want to watch:

By that time however, the result was not needed as Laird’s team, inspired by a rampant Chas Hemmings, had raced into a three goal lead within the first 21 minutes.

The former Clevedon Town striker scored one goal and had a hand in three others while Nabi Diallo gave another barnstorming performance in midfield.

Most Read

Weston’s first goal came as Hemmings saw his shot parried by away goalkeeper Ashley Bayes, but reclaimed the rebound and laid it off for Diallo to score from eight yards.

On 17 minutes Weston struck again as Ross Stearn went through on the left, beat three defenders and supplied a perfect cross for Hemmings to head past Bayes.

And their third came on 21 minutes, as Hemmings set up Kane Ingram to score at the second attempt.

Despite sporadic attacks from the away side Weston’s superiority was clear and the Seagulls notched a fourth after 54 minutes as Hemmings knocked down a high cross for fellow summer arrival Ashley Kington to fire past Bayes from 10 yards.

Stearn completed Weston’s scoring on 76 minutes, picking himself up to score a penalty after being brought down in the box.

Basingstoke added a measure of consolation through two late goals, from Delano Sam-Yorke and Stefan Brown to leave the final score 5-2.

Speaking after the match, which was attended by a crowd of 282, Weston chairman Paul Bliss said: “We played some beautiful football today and thoroughly deserved our win, but I am bitterly disappointed by the poor attendance.

“This team has lost only once in six games and deserve better support than we are getting.”

The Seagulls have now lost only one match in eight in all competitions and one in eight in the league – their only Blue Square South defeat since August coming at Chelmsford City on September 21.

Laird has urged his team to keep their feet on the ground however, saying: “We’re really pleased with the performance on Saturday and our form but there’s a long way to go this season.

“It’s taken a really great effort from everybody to get to this stage and it has taken a lot of mental strength and toughness, but we need to keep that going.”

Laird will welcome back Jamie Laird and Jamie Price for Saturday’s visit of third-placed Boreham Wood, although Kane Ingram is suspended.

Recent signing Kayne McLaggon is also pushing for a start up front, after recovering from a long-term hamstring injury.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter