Weston boxers travel to Swansea
- Credit: Archant
Weston Boxing Club were back in action, with two members travelling to Swansea.
WESTON Boxing Club were back in action a week after their successful home show and travelled to Swansea with two young boxers whom won that evening.
Terry Price, aged 15, was the first to don the black and gold colours in a 50kg contest against Jamie James of Splott, who is two times Welsh champion and a Welsh international with weight advantage and experience.
This was always going to be a tough task for the Weston lad, but Terry is a top level boxer and this contest was pure class, both boxers displaying great speed and skill. It was only James’ strength advantage that gave him the edge to take a points decision.
Fourteen-year-old Wesley Williams was next, facing host club boxer Liam Reynolds of Premier ABC, again giving away experience.
You may also want to watch:
Wesley was determined to win, showing straight hard punching from the opening bell, dominating the round. The second round again was much the same and the contest seemed all over.
However, the third round Reynolds gave it one final shot to make it more of an even round, but Wesley had done more than enough to make it a comfortable points victory.
- 1 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 2 Villagers object to 'totally inappropriate' housing proposal
- 3 Thatchers search online for cidermakers
- 4 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
- 5 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 6 More than 100 rough sleepers supported during pandemic in North Somerset
- 7 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 8 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 9 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 10 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
Weston Amateur Boxing Club is on the verge of sealing their future for the next 10 years and revamping their gym. However, the club needs a sponsor to help continue the success of the club.
The last few years the club has had great success producing a national champion, national finalists, semi-finalists and several regional champions. If anyone is willing to support the club, please contact head coach John Cleary on 07786 371164.