Weston chase signature of Spanish midfielder
WESTON manager Craig Laird is chasing the signature of a former Athletic Bilbao player in a bid to further improve his squad for next season.
Just back from an end-of-season holiday with his side on the island of Ibiza, Craig revealed he was close to signing Anton Olando yesterday (Wed).
The 23-year-old midfielder, who played under Craig for a season at Bridgwater Town, is attempting secure work in Bristol with his banking employer before signing the dotted line for the Seagulls.
Craig said: “He’s a fantastic player who I have no doubt could adapt to playing in our side in the Blue Square South next season.
“Not only is he a great footballer who would suit our style of play, but he is a good character for any dressing room. We’re doing our best to sign him.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, the club has announced the signings of strikers Chris Young and Matt Huxley on a non-contract basis.
Young, aged 27, comes from Bridgwater Town while Huxley, aged 28, arrives from Oldland Abbotonians.
- 1 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 2 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 3 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 4 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 5 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 6 Mother launches fundraising challenge as she battles cancer
- 7 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 8 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 9 North Somerset Council launches local test and trace service
- 10 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
The new players have been signed after chairman Paul Bliss agreed to increase the salary budget for the coming season.