Weston College car features in Formula Ford world cup
- Credit: Archant
A Formula Ford car sponsored by Weston College took part in the annual Silverstone Walter Hayes Trophy for Formula Ford single-seater racing cars.
With regular driver Roger Orgee unable to compete due to business commitments, the team sought a capable replacement to drive the Weston College/Ridgemill/CPM car in the annual Silverstone Walter Hayes Trophy for Formula Ford single-seater racing cars.
Thee team persuaded Matt Hamilton, one of Roger’s competitors from his Formula BMW days, to come out of an enforced (financial) retirement and it proved to be an excellent choice.
With more than 120 entries from the UK, USA, Canada, Belgium and Holland, Matt faced a highly skilled set of competitors, all hell bent on winning.
Testing went well with an unusually dry day for November, giving excellent track time. The event is divided into six heats, semi-finals and the grand final featuring the top 36 cars.
You may also want to watch:
Qualifying netted a competitive fifth place on the grid, followed by a superb second place in the heat, giving Matt an automatic place in the semi-final. A sensible drive resulted in sixth place and a good opportunity to improve in the final.
Come the final it poured with rain and Matt had never driven the car in the wet, but by the end of the race, his times were the same as the front runners and he came home 15th out of 120, ensuring the College logos featured prominently, beating competitors car run by Wiltshire College as a bonus.
- 1 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 2 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 3 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 8 New leadership team for charity
- 9 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 10 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston