Weston College student heads to national badminton championships
- Credit: Archant
Weston College student Kirby Ngan is heading for the student badminton national championships to be held in April.
Weston College student Kirby Ngan is heading to the Association of Colleges (AoC) Sport National Championships.
Kirby is currently ranked sixth nationally for singles and 11th for doubles at senior standard, and is England’s number one at Under-19 level for both.
She is following in the footsteps of her brother Henley, who secured a gold medal for the South West in the men’s singles badminton championships in Bath in 2014.
The young star says the support offered by Weston College’s Elite Athlete Programme (EAP) can help her achieve her first national title.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Being a Weston College EAP student has helped me combine my studies, training and playing. “I’m hoping that this will help me achieve my goal of winning a national title in 2016 as this is something that I’m yet to do.”
Weston College’s head of sport, Paul Taylor, believes Kirby’s dedication will drive her towards success in the championship, which us to be held between April 15-17 in Tyne and Wear.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 4 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 5 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 6 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 7 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
- 10 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
Taylor said: “Kirby is an outstanding student and athlete. As an EAP athlete she combines her busy badminton schedule with her studies perfectly. She is training hard and we are all looking forward to the National Championships in April.”
AoC Sport is the lead organisation for college sport and physical activity in the UK.