Weston confirm their No 1 position
SQUASH - WESTON Squash and Racketball Club's first team confirmed their position as No 1 in the Bristol and District League with a 4-1 win over David Lloyd 1.
WESTON Squash and Racketball Club's first team confirmed their position as No 1 in the Bristol and District League with a 4-1 win over David Lloyd 1.
The league comprises nine divisions and to be top of Premier 1 indicates what a talented and strong team the club has. England Over-40 player Rob Watkins at No 1 beat Emma Chorley 10/9, 10/8, 10/8. Playing at No 2, talented 18-year-old Luke Bishop, who is the Somerset champion, despatched Ian Fudge 9/2, 9/7, 9/6. Luke's speed around the court and occasional flashy winners made for a most entertaining match.
Matt Harford beat Simon Highgate 9/6, 9/1, 10/8, but had to work hard for the third game. Team captain James Hazzard, in one of his best performances, overcame John Atree 9/7, 9/2, 9/6, but Tom Lane at No 5 disappointed and went down to Jason 0/9, 3/9, 7/9.
Weston Squash and Racketball's second team in Premier C lost to David Lloyd 2 by three rubbers to two. Damien Thomas at No1, lost to Rupert Maul 5/9, 9/6, 0/9, 9/8, 5/9, possibly due to a lack of fitness and concentration in the fifth game.
You may also want to watch:
James Lynne had a titanic battle with Steve Osborne and eventually came out the winner 9/2, 1/9, 5/9, 9/3, 9/5. The marker would have been glad when this match ended. Jason Vinnicombe beat Chris Wood in a workmanlike match 0/9, 9/4, 9/5, 9/7, but captain Julian Titchener, with his mind on his work, went down 3/9, 3/9, 6/9 to Steve Parrot and Natalie Lawrence lost to Chris Barnard 5/9, 7/9, 6/9.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 4 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 5 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 6 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 7 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 8 Mass rollout of Oxford vaccine begins in North Somerset
- 9 Police appeal for help to trace drug offender
- 10 Surgery's patient participation group disbanded