Weston cruise into the semi-finals
Weston cruised into the semi-finals of the Somerset Premier Cup after a 2-0 victory at Frome Town.
FROME TOWN 0
TWO goals in the first 15 minutes were enough to see holders Weston through to the semi-final of the Somerset Premier Cup against their Evo-Stick Southern League Premier opponents.
Weston are now the only senior club left in the competition, as Bath City were knocked out in round one by Taunton Town and Clevedon Town beat Yeovil Town in another quarter-final 1-0. The semi-finalists now are Weston, Clevedon, Taunton who beat Larkhall Athletic 5-0 and Brislington, 2-1 winners over Portishead.
You may also want to watch:
Lloyd Irish, the Weston keeper who had to leave the field at Sutton United suffering from concussion, made a remarkable recovery and took his place in the team, making some competent saves. Chris Young led the attack and Kane Ingram, back from suspension, was on the bench with Dayle Grubb and Sahr Kabba.
Weston attacked from the off and opened their account on six minutes when Nabi Diallo cut in from the right, beating three defender, and firing past keeper Darren Chitty from close range.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 4 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 5 Mural nears completion in Weston
- 6 Which services will be open and closed during tier three in North Somerset?
- 7 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 8 Lockdown chef launches cook-along YouTube channel
- 9 Fruit and veg shop to continue running delivery service for Christmas
- 10 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
The Seagulls struck again on 15 minutes when Chitty could only parry a low effort from Nat Pepperell and the ball rebounded to Young who tapped it in.
The Frome keeper made another magnificent save on 21 minutes, flinging himself to his right to turn Young’s blistering effort round his post for Weston’s fourth corner. Minutes later, Chitty again did well to deny Pepperell’s effort.
Sensing that the game was safely secure, Weston eased off, allowing Frome more into the game, but thanks to poor finishing and resolute Weston defending, the home side rarely got near the Weston goal.
Frome’s best effort came on 61 minutes when Irish went full-length to claim Luke Ballinger’s deflected effort.
Goals: Weston, Diallo (6), Young (15).
Shots on target: Frome 3, Weston 6.
Shots off target: Frome 5, Weston 3.
Corners: Frome 7, Weston 9.
Offsides: Frome 1, Weston 1.
Free kicks conceded: Frome 13, Weston 13.
Referee: Martin Veater (Radstock). Good game, Kept his cards in his pocket.
Weston squad: Irish, Price, Slocombe, Laird, Villis, Cleverley (Kabba 76), Diallo (Grubb 83), Kirk, Young (McGregor 85), Trowbridge, Pepperell. Subs (not used): Duharty, Ingram.