Weston defeated by 10-man Farnborough

WESTON crashed at title-chasing Farnborough after they failed to take advantage when the home side were reduced to 10 men on 62 minutes after big central defender James Smith was shown a second yellow card in the space of three minutes by referee Adam Fielding.

Although Weston enjoyed as much possession as the hosts, their finishing let them down as they managed only one shot on target, and that was sent straight at keeper Michael Jordan. The result sees Weston slip to 12th in the Blue Square South table.

Starting with the same side that overcame Ebbsfleet, Weston found themselves under pressure from the start, with man of the match Dale Binns causing problems with his speedy runs on the left.

The home side took the lead on five minutes when Binns’ cross was not properly cleared and Gary Holloway beat Lloyd Irish from eight yards.

Although Weston forced successive corners on 14 minutes, Farnborough were soon back in control. Smith fired just over from Daryl McMahon’s free kick, Paul Booth had a low effort turned behind by Irish at full stretch and Binns had a fierce effort beaten out by the keeper.

You may also want to watch:

Weston’s best chances came in the last couple of minutes of the first half when Martin Slocombe went just wide with a 20-yard free kick and Kane Ingram fired straight into Jordan’s arms when put clear of the Farnborough defence.

In the second half, after Smith’s departure, Weston came more into the game with Jamie Price forcing a corner when his shot was turned behind by a defender, as was Ingram’s a minute later.

Most Read

With Weston pressing for an equaliser, they left themselves open at the back and they had a lucky escape on 78 minutes when Booth burst through, but he hit the crossbar with only Irish to beat.

Farnborough made the points safe a minute from the end when Binns again outstripped the Weston defenders and crossed for substitute Michael Malcolm to beat Irish from six yards.

In injury time Weston substitute Marcus Duharty fired wide after failing to control Ingram’s free kick.

*On Saturday, Weston make one of their longest journeys when they travel to Thurrock in Essex looking for a Blue Square double. Weston won 2-1 when the sides met in November, Martin Slocombe and Dayle Grubb the scorers. The team coach leaves at 9am.

Then, on Tuesday, Weston entertain Radstock in the semi-final of the Somerset Premier Cup. The game will be played to a finish, with extra time and penalties if necessary.

The last time these sides met at the same stage of the competition, Weston won 7-1, but eventually lost to Bristol City in a two-legged final.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus