Weston denied victory by rain
Weston were denied the chance of victory when heavy rain forced the players off at Keynsham.
WESTON 1st team were denied the opportunity of forcing victory when the heavens opened at Keynsham on Saturday.
Bowling first, Weston put in a superb performance, dismissing the hosts for just 102 thanks to a fine all-round display, most notable from spin duo Ashley Allen (8-2-23-3) and Shabil Ahmed (8-2-15-3).
In reply, Weston made a steady start, making 10-0 before the rain came leaving both teams frustrated at yet another rain affected week.
You may also want to watch:
R Coughtrie c Morgan b T Main 14
D Jarman lbw B Main 0
- 1 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 8 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 9 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 10 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
B Ward st J Davidson b J Ahmed 14
R Pannell c J Ahmed b Stringer 20
P Robbins c C Davidson b Allen 17
A Cains c T Main b S Ahmed 18
C Gwyther c Stringer b S Ahmed 0
G Worgan c Davidson b Allen 0
D Burston not out 12
T Bryan c C Davidson b S Ahmed 0
S Wheller c Williams b Allen 1
Bowling: T Main 5-1-21-1; B Main 5-0-18-1; S Stringer 4-0-15-1; J Ahmed 3-0-10-1; S Ahmed 8-2-15-3; A Allen 8-2-23-3.
S Ahmed not out 0
J Davidson not out 8
Total (0 wkts) 8
Weston thirds won for the first time since June, comfortably defeating Wembdon by six wickets and in the process keeping alive slim chances of avoiding relegation from Somerset Cricket League Division 4.
After electing to bowl first, Weston’s opening attack of St Roberts (12-6-11-3) and Tom Court (9.4-6-8-1) gave nothing away. Matt Humphrey (7-2-17-3) continued the fine work and at the halfway stage of the innings, Wembdon found themselves in disarray at 24-6.
Some lusty hitting from Watts (52) added an air of respectability to the scoreline, but 112 all out looked well below par on what was a good wicket.
Weston got off to a flying start as Tom Dancey (29) and Mark Bissex (21) took a liking to the new ball. However, once they were dismissed, followed soon after by Matt Blamire and Sam Curley there were a few nerves on show.
Matt Kearsey (33 not out) and Arron Hawkins (9 not out) soon put those concerns to rest, guiding the side home with 20 overs to spare.
InTouch CRM man of the match was Matt Humphrey.
This weekend sees the final league games of the season. The 1st XI travel to Thornbury (12.30pm start), while the big game is for the seconds who know that eight points in their game a home to Thornbury (1pm) will secure the Premier Two Second XI title and an immediate return to Premier One following last year’s relegation.
The third XI travel to Wellington (1.30pm) knowing that anything less than a win will see them relegated, while the fourth XI conclude their season at Clarence Park with a game against Taunton St Andrews 4ths.