Weston dumped out of the FA Cup

Weston’s interest in this season’s FA Cup competition ended with a 1-0 defeat at Worcester City.



WESTON’S interest in this season’s FA Cup competition was ended by a goal five minutes into the second half of a most entertaining game.

In contrast to Saturday’s encounter, this was a fine advertisement for non-league football with plenty of good play, several near misses and some excellent saves.

You may also want to watch:

From the side that started on Saturday, Nabi Diallo picked up a slight knee injury with Ashley Kington taking over, and Nat Pepperell on for Kane Ingram.

Weston made a bright start, Chas Hemmings firing narrowly across goal on two minutes and two minutes later, they forced their first corner. Ross Stearn’s fierce free kick was turned over by home keeper Matt Sargeant for the second corner and Kington saw his effort also turned over by Sargeant.

Most Read

As Worcester got going, Mat Breeze had a cross cut out by Lloyd Irish at full stretch and Greg Mills was just over with a distance effort.

Weston should have taken the lead when Stearn, on the left, got the better of his marker and he played a low cross across the six-yard box. Unfortunately, Pepperell mis-cued with only Sargeant to beat.

Pepperell made a penetrating run on 40 minutes, but he finished by firing narrowly across goal and before the break, Weston forced their fourth corner.

At the start of the second half, Worcester came out all guns blazing and they forced the first two of their corners. From the second, taken by Greg Mills, Mike Symons scored t he all-important goal with a near-post header on 50 minutes.

Pepperell was put clear of the defence on 65 minutes, outstripped his marker, but finished by firing badly wide. Minutes later, Kington was narrowly wide with Sargeant beaten.

As Worcester began to dominate, Irish was called into action, twice brilliantly tipping strong efforts by home skipper Rob Elvins over his crossbar.

Substitute Dayle Grubb, on for Trowbridge, had Weston’s best chance on 84 minutes when his curling effort was punched to safety by Sergeant at full stretch, but the game ended with Worcester forcing two more corners.


Goal: Worcester, Symons (50).

Shots on target: Worcester 5, Weston 3.

Shots off target: Worcester 10,Weston 10.

Corners: Worcester 8, Weston 4.

Offsides: Worcester 6, Weston 2.

Free kicks conceded: Worcester 9, Weston 13.

Referee: Andy Hendley (Halesowen). Excellent game. Kept play flowing.

Bookings: Worcester Elvins, Taylor. Weston, Laird.

Attendance: 1,013.

Weston squad: Irish, Price, Slocombe (Ingram 76), Kington, Parry, Laird, Stearn, Kirk, Hemmings, Trowbridge (Grubb 72), Pepperell (Villis 68). Subs (not used): Monks, McClaggon.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter