Weston end their season with derby victory
Weston defeated North Somerset to finish their successful season on a winning note.
North Somerset 0
WESTON travelled to fierce rivals North Somerset with promotion already sealed.
Weston did not start well and allowed North vast amounts of early possession, Matt Godwin thwarting the home attack on numerous occasions. Matt Kearsey was seeing plenty of the ball, although the visiting attackers Roy Beer and Nathan Hancock could not break through.
You may also want to watch:
It was not long until they did, with Hancock lifting the ball over the home defence for Beer to beat former Weston keeper Rob O’Neill and put Weston one up.
The away midfield of Sam Neate, Chris Etchells, Chris Bryant, Rich Heal and Kearsey were starting to hold possession and North were working tirelessly to win possession.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 5 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 10 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
Weston still struggled to stamp their authority on the game and North continued to look dangerous on the break, a counter-attack resulted in Hancock being brought down by O’Neill in the D and his dusted himself off to dispatch put Weston two up.
Weston’s defence of Duckett, Sully, Ninnis, Hector and Davis were having solid games and not allowing the North strikers to break into the D.
Cam Slater was seeing a lot of the ball and earned a short corner which was finished by Hancock deflecting Sully’s strike into the net.
Mercedes Benz of Weston man of the match went to George Davis.
Weston have now finished their successful season, finishing second and gaining promotion. They scored 124 goals and conceded 37. They finished 12 points clear of Imperial in third. A big thank you to Russell Moore, Gary Gullick, Ron Edwards and Paul Westgate, who have umpired this year and congratulations to Nathan Hancock, who has finished the season with an incredible 53 goals from 14 games.