Weston fend off Plymouth in relegation fight
Weston water polo men’s team escaped relegation with an excellent victory over Plymouth.
IN A FINE team display, one of their best for a number of years, Weston men’s water polo team escaped relegation by winning 13-11 against a strong Plymouth team.
In a battle with both Bath and Plymouth, the squad needed to come away from Plymouth with a win and did so.
Weston led from the start in a surprising 4-0 first quarter. Steve Etchells opened up the scoreboard with a long range bouncer, confusing the home goalie. Liam Coles followed suit and managed to secure a hat-trick.
The defence on Plymouth was tight and any counter attack was always repelled. In the final quarter, Chunk Edwards converted a close-range shot from a time-out to finish the game.
You may also want to watch:
A special mention needs to go to Morgan Matt, who finished the game with a confirmed broken rib.
Weston’s moral is high at the moment and the team are looking forward to next season’s Division 1 games. The seconds are in action against Frome next week.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 5 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 10 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown