Weston fend off Plymouth in relegation fight
Weston water polo men’s team escaped relegation with an excellent victory over Plymouth.
IN A FINE team display, one of their best for a number of years, Weston men’s water polo team escaped relegation by winning 13-11 against a strong Plymouth team.
In a battle with both Bath and Plymouth, the squad needed to come away from Plymouth with a win and did so.
Weston led from the start in a surprising 4-0 first quarter. Steve Etchells opened up the scoreboard with a long range bouncer, confusing the home goalie. Liam Coles followed suit and managed to secure a hat-trick.
The defence on Plymouth was tight and any counter attack was always repelled. In the final quarter, Chunk Edwards converted a close-range shot from a time-out to finish the game.
You may also want to watch:
A special mention needs to go to Morgan Matt, who finished the game with a confirmed broken rib.
Weston’s moral is high at the moment and the team are looking forward to next season’s Division 1 games. The seconds are in action against Frome next week.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 4 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 5 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 6 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 7 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
- 10 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory