Weston fight back to draw
Weston hit back to draw 2-2 after being two goals down at Firebrands.
Firebrands E 2
WESTON started the game poorly, conceding two early goals and faced an uphill battle to get back into the game.
They battled back to win a short corner after good work by Chris Etchells, only to just be hit wide of the post by Kyle Sully, but made amends by striking Weston’s second short corner of the game into the bottom left hand corner.
You may also want to watch:
Weston continued to attack and drew level after good passing between CJ Neate and Dave Beer, slipping the ball through to captain Jack Pitt to assist the dangerous Matt Kearsey with a flick into the far corner.
Weston were unlucky not to sneak the win with good attacking play by Chris Bryant and Cam Slater.
- 1 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 6 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 10 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
Synter Mercedes Benz man of the match was Matt Kearsey. On Saturday, Weston are home to Old Bristolians, 2pm start at Priory School.
ECV Hornets Ladies 2nds 0
Weston Ladies 3
WESTON started positive and showed their dominance from the outset.
The visitors strong start forced the Hornets keeper into action and many shots from Poppy and Lucy Gibbon were denied, but persistence paid off as a well-placed shot from Taylor Kingscott gave Weston the lead going into the second half.
Both teams came out attacking after the break, but the solid Weston defence of Charlotte Gordon, Ness Mawford, Hayley Mawford and Claire Westgate kept Hornets at bay.
The partnership between Laura Draycott and Michelle Tuxford led to numerous attacks and a powerful cross into the D allowed Lucy Clarke to slam the ball home for a 2-0 lead.
Weston continued to play good passing hockey and kept the pressure on the opposition. A well-struck ball by Westgate found Emma Gibbins, who deflected it past the keeper to seal victory.
Mercedes Benz player of the match was Claire Westgate.
Weston Ladies 2nd XI 1
Taunton Vale 5 2
The seconds lost their first match of the season against a strong Taunton Vale team, but remain top of the league.
Weston got off to a good start with a goal from Ellie Etchells and an assist from Kirsten Warden. Beth Cole made some great saves in goal and Jenny Purcell, Lynne Fryer, Dani Bearsby, Shelly Parkins and Demi Reading worked well together in defence.
Izzie Jeffrey, Warden, Sophie Lanham, Jas Ash, Chloe Cowell and Jade Brown made some good passes in midfield. Up front, Kat Brown, Etchells and Sarah Jackson had some good chances, but the Taunton goalkeeper made some excellent saves.
Captain’s player of the match was Jenny Purcell.