Weston girls are the toast of Somerset
Weston Under-13 girls won a three-way softball tournament between Bath and Taunton Deane.
WESTON Cricket Club hosted the Somerset Lady Taverners Under-13 girls’ softball tournament between Bath, Taunton Deane and Weston.
In the first game, Weston beat defending champions Bath. The home side hit 57-3 from their eight overs and restricting Bath to 37-1. Highlights included a fine catch by Katie Sharkey, an accurate spell by Jodie Filer (1-8) and a brutal display of power hitting by Lauren Filer, who retired on 20 not out.
The next game was between Weston and a young and enthusiastic Taunton team with many girls playing their first competition.
Weston bowlers Georgina Goodwin and Alys Skinner bowled well, backed up by a high tempo fielding display from Bobbie Kingston-Lee, Erin Popham, Kas Hancock and Shar Hancock, which kept the Taunton total down to 31-3.
You may also want to watch:
It was left to Skinner and Jodie Filer to chase down the total with great maturity, before the team finished the innings with some expansive shots to reach 61-1.
Just 10 minutes later, the heavens duly opened and washed out the second place decider between Bath and Taunton, who shared the position, but the trophy was already heading to Weston.
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 3 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 4 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 5 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 6 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 7 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 8 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 9 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 10 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
Weston will now represent Somerset in the South West regional finals. Any girls wishing to try out cricket are welcome to our training on Wednesdays at 5pm at the club.