Weston gymnasts head for Europe
- Credit: Archant
A team of gymnasts from Weston Aerobic Gymnastics Club are in Slovakia to compete in the Slovakian Open.
A TEAM of elite gymnasts from Weston Aerobic Gymnastics Club has headed off to Slovakia to compete in the Slovakian Open.
The 18-strong squad will test themselves against the best that 16 other countries can provide over a tough weekend of competition.
The squad, some of whom are as young as eight years, have been training hard and sharpening their competitive edge in this country before being unleashed to take on the likes of Austria, Hungary and Russia.
Head coach Debbie Saunders said: “We will be facing some of the best gymnasts in the world at this event and my team have been putting everything they have into the preparation phase.”
You may also want to watch:
The club are no strangers to coming home with medals. It is the home and training ground for Matt Saunders, the current British male individual champion in the junior age group,as well as Rhys Williams and Keira Langden, who came seventh in the 2012 World Championships. They are stablemates with countless other British and national champions from the club.
The squad for the 2014 Slovakian Championship are: Matt Saunders, Rhys Williams, Keira Langden, Isidora, Vucicevic, Ben Payne, Cara Short, Emily Antoine, Maddy Reynolds, Beth Kemmish, Lewis Harvey, Molly Brown, Gemma Handley, Katy Day, Ellie-Mae Hayes, Willow Neale, Toby Baker, Lola Lawrence and Bella Styles.
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 6 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 7 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 8 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 9 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 10 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait