Weston gymnasts return victorious from Slovakia
- Credit: Archant
A team from Weston Aerobic Gymnastics returned from Slovakia with one gold and two silver medals.
A TEAM Weston Aerobic Gymnastics travelled to Slovakia to participate in the Slovakian Open.
The delegation was led by head coach Debbie Saunders and Matt Saunders took the role of team captain.
Rhys Williams and his partner Keira Landen brought home silver medals in the age group one mixed pairs with an inspirational routine scoring an impressive 16.4. Williams collected another silver medal with a massive 17.7 in the individual male category
In the junior category, Matt Saunders, the current British male individual champion, fought off some tough competition from Turkey, Romania and Bulgaria and pulled out an outstanding routine, achieving a personal best score of 19.00 and bringing the gold medal home to North Somerset.
You may also want to watch:
Debbie Saunders said: “I could not be more proud of my team, people don’t appreciate the massive and continued team effort that goes into getting a squad of this calibre ready for such a competition.
A lot of the squad were very young and this was their first international competition. They have produced the results that I wanted, whether or not they come home with a medal, I am a very happy coach.”
- 1 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 2 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 New leadership team for charity
- 8 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 9 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 10 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
The team do not have the luxury of time to relax though, in the coming months there are world championship qualifiers, the Welsh Open and British Championships to prepare for.
The club is home to several members of the GB squad who have an upcoming competition in Bulgaria.
If your child would like to get involved with gymnastics, either recreationally or competitively, please email their details to email@example.com to join the waiting list.