Weston gymnasts return with Slovakian medals
- Credit: Archant
Eighteen Weston Aerobic Gymnastic Club members took part in the Slovakian Open and returned with several medals.
WESTON Aerobic Gymnastics Club recently took 18 of their gymnasts to the Slovakia Open with national coach Kat Saunders and assistant national coach Adam Ludwell to compete in their first international of the season.
The gymnasts were part of a strong delegation from Great Britain. Led by Debbie Saunders, the team consisting of over 50 gymnasts and coaches from across the country and was one of the biggest delegations British Gymnastics has ever sent.
With many younger gymnasts from the club representing GB for the first time anticipation was high, and so was the standard of competition.
However, with hard work from coaches, officials and gymnasts, the results were outstanding.
You may also want to watch:
Starting with the youngest competitors, the national development category, was Toby Baker, aged nine, who out of 11 gymnasts managed to bring home the silver medal. Mixed pair Bella Styles and Lewis Harvey, aged 10, also added a silver medal to the total.
The five-team of Tianna Marshall, Gemma Handley, Molly Brown, Bella Styles and Lola Lawrence stepped up and achieved a second place and a matching silver medal.
- 1 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 2 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 8 New leadership team for charity
- 9 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 10 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
The next day of competition saw older gymnasts carry on the medal-winning streak by juniors Rhys Williams and Keira Landen bringing home the bronze medal in their first year in a tough category of experienced international gymnasts.
The second five-team of Beth Kemmish (16), Emily Antoine (16), Izzy Worral (15), Lauren Denscome (15) and Maddy Reynolds (15) got a personal best result with third position at their first international.
The last competitor from Weston, closing the show for Great Britain was Matthew Saunders. With it being Matthew’s first senior year, the competitors from Europe were as tough as expected, but Matthew managed to finish in fourth place.
Overall, the Weston gymnasts produced 12 incredible routines against countries including Romania, Hungary, Turkey and Bulgaria, with five of them bringing home international medals.
Next stop is the first national competition of the year this weekend in Cardiff.
For more details of the club www.westonaerobicgymnastics.co.uk