Weston held in 10-goal thriller

PUBLISHED: 18:03 19 January 2007 | UPDATED: 10:29 24 May 2010

WESTON travelled to Firebrands for their first league fixture of the year hoping to do well against a strong top of the table team

Firebrands 5 Weston 5WESTON travelled to Firebrands for their first league fixture of the year hoping to do well against a strong top of the table team. Weston started the game hoping to continue the season the way the first half ended, their last two games were a win and a draw.Following captain Long's team-talk Weston went out and matched Firebrands in determination and skill for the first 10 minutes and took the lead with a well worked goal by Brees following good work by Hart and Dennis. Shortly afterwards Firebrands equalised through some strong midfield play leaving Weston's defence stranded.Weston's defence were generally playing well, with strong performances by Chambers, Gambling, Summers and Dennis. Duncan Long put in another strong performance in midfield and worked well with the front pairing. Weston's second goal came from a Long drive down the left flank and into the opposition D where the defence fouled. A penalty stroke was awarded and Bearsby gave Weston the lead going into the second half.Weston knew that Firebrands would come out hard and fast in the second half and would have the skill and ability to turn the game around. What happened in the next 10 minutes even Firebrands could not have expected. Firebrands scored pretty much after the whistle to equalise and then again to take the lead, within a few minutes the score line was 5-2 to Firebrands. During this period Weston never gave up and fought hard to stay in the game with Price and McConkey working hard. With 20 minutes left Hart, who bagged the coveted Anchor award, scored for Weston and they then pushed forward with the midfield and were rewarded with another goal by Brees, 5-4 and the momentum was with Weston. Both sides created a number of chances, and keeper Beer was called on to make a number of saves. Weston again pushed forward trying to gain the equaliser which finally came after man of the match Tom Dennis, supporting the midfield, ran through and passed to Hart at the top of the D. Hart controlled the ball well and scored. Five apiece and Weston were jubilant to have equalised.Unbeaten now in three games, Weston can look forward to tomorrow's (Sat) match at home against Swindon.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists