Weston juniors held to a draw by Cheddar
SQUASH - WESTON Squash Club recently hosted a junior event with players from Cheddar Valley Squash Club.
WESTON Squash Club recently hosted a junior event with players from Cheddar Valley Squash Club.
The Weston team was represented by Jo Newbury, Tom Newbury, Andrew Risdell, Lawrence Newbury, Sam Chedzoy, Abbie Cameron, Mitch Law, Patrick Rice, Harry Bush and Louise Hoffman.
Each player competed with an equally matched opponent from the Cheddar squad of Adam Davies, Dan Alden, Jack Harding, Charlie Pye, Billy Cavanagh, Tom Davies, Jordan Southey and Tom Penhall.
All the matches showed some splendid squash and all the players have been playing in the junior squads for a limited time, competing against higher players within the clubs.
You may also want to watch:
Overall the match was successful with four ties each being won.
Junior squash is expanding in the area with a good selection of junior clubs with participants of all abilities from novices to some elite players.
- 1 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 2 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 3 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 4 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 7 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 8 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 9 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 10 Children as young as 11 being targeted by sexual predators, police warn
For information please contact Sally Thompson, Level 2 squash coach on 01934 812241.
THE highlight of Weston Squash and Racketball fourth team victory over Nailsea was a first win for young Harry Lane and a return to form for Rod Barnes.
Harry's hard work and training since Christmas was rewarded with a comprehensive performance where he dispatched his opponent in three games, only conceding one point in the last two games. This was in contrast to Rod Barnes, whose win in a much closer contest over five games with Rod coming back strong to win the last two games.
Carol Burrows kindly stepped in at the last minute and competed well with the 3-0 scoreline flattering her opponent. Mike LaBand came up against a rather useful number one from Nailsea and although he had numerous chances he could not convert these into winners and finally went down 3-0. Graham Quick struggled against his younger opponent and lost the third game after squandering a number of match points. It was a similar story in the fourth game but he held on to win and secure the winning bonus points for the team
The team are competing well in Division 4 and is a useful way for young squash players to benefit from competitive squash against different opponents every week
Scores: Mike LaBand lost 2-9, 1-9, 2-9; Graham Quick won 9-7, 9-7, 8-10, 9-6; Carol Burrows lost 5-9, 6-9, 0-9; Rod Barnes won 9-2, 3-9, 2-9, 9-5, 9-2; Harry Lane won 9-6, 9-0, 9-.1
If anybody is interested in joining the club they can contact Rod Barnes on 07766116203 or visit www.westonsquash.co.uk