Weston line up five pre-season friendly matches
Weston Rugby Club have five pre-season trial matches lined up before the season starts on September 6.
WESTON will hold five pre-season trial matches covering all three senior teams before the 2014/15 campaign commences.
On August 13 they travel to Burnham and the remaining four fixtures will be played at the Recreation Ground.
They will entertain Chew Valley on the 14th, Clevedon on the 21st and Gordano on the 28th, all at 7.45pm. Welsh club Dowlais will be the visitors on the 30th at 3pm.
The season will start with a home match against Exmouth on September 6 in National 3 South West.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, the Seasiders have added to their announcement that No 8 George Sparks will be the club captain for the forthcoming season.
Phil Collins will fill the 1st XV manager’s role and second rower Simon Hudson will lead the United XV, which will be managed by Stuart Board.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
The Athletic XV will again be led by hooker Grahame Hill and Andrew Ballard will continue as team manager.
Former Rotherham scrum-half Steve Worrall is the new head coach and his assistant will be Chris Hurd. Jonathan Bamsey continues as backs coach.
Also on the coaching team is the former Bristol and England prop Darren Crompton, who will be player and scrum coach and Paul Jones will resume his duties as conditioning coach.
Gavin Simpson, aged 33, who has been forced into playing retirement with a knee problem, will be the club’s director of rugby.