Weston maintain unbeaten start to the season

Weston 1st XI continued their unbeaten start to the season with victory over basement club Westbury.



WESTON entertained basement club Westbury hoping to continue their unbeaten start to their West Central 1 campaign.

Missing key players Kearsey, Beer and Brees, they welcomed back Holland, Hector, Neate and Hancock into the starting line-up.

Weston started strongly with wingers Rich Heal and Jake Turner causing problems. It was Westbury who broke the deadlock, firing past Chris Bryant in the home goal from a short corner.

The Weston defence of CJ Neate, Holland and Hector found themselves under pressure and the midfield of Sam Neate, Chris Etchells and Curt Watkins were camped in their own half.

Most Read

Hancock found himself isolated up front, but was supported well by Heal who equalised for Weston with a shot rifled into the bottom corner. Kyle Sully supported attacks and forced the play into more advanced positions. Weston went 2-1 up when Hancock fired past the Westbury keeper.

After the break, Matt McCarthy was introduced into the midfield and worked hard to retain possession for the home side. Heal fired his second and Weston’s third after great work from Mercedes Benz of Weston man of the match Curt Watkins.

Westbury grabbed a goal back again from a short corner, but Hancock quickly replied with a fine goal after beating the goalkeeper and gave Weston a two-goal cushion.

The home side were reduced to 10 men with Hancock sent to the sin bin following a green card and Westbury took advantage of the extra man by overloading the attack and causing Weston problems.

Bryant was in fine form though, making two crucial saves to keep Weston in front. Sam Neate then put the game to bed flicking the ball into the top corner following a short corner.

Weston remain top, with the same points as second-placed Bristol University, who Weston travel to next Saturday in a top of the table game.

Bristol & West F 2

Weston 2nd XI 4

THE second travelled to Winterbourne to face Bristol & West looking to get back to winning ways and continue their promotion chase.

The hosts’ midfield dominated the first-half and while Weston broke well, they could not apply the finishing touch to some good moves. In was no surprise when Weston went behind to go into half-time a goal down.

After the break, Mount, Ninnis and Thorne kept creating opportunities for Beer and the striker eventually found the back of the net with a great reverse stick finish.

Good defensive work from Duckett, Mount, Lucas and stand-in keeper Edwards kept any breakway threat to a minimum and Mobsby, Westcott and Mudie fed the forwards well.

It wasn’t long before Beer slotted home his second goal and Thorne increased the lead. Beer completed his hat-trick and could have easily scored more were it not for the Bristol keeper.

Bristol managed a late consolation goal when a short corner effort was deflected onto a foot and Edwards was unable to save the resultant penalty.

Beer picked up the Mercedes Benz man of the match award.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter