Weston Mendip Ladies beat Paulton Rovers Ladies for first win of the season
- Credit: Jack Edgar
Weston Mendip Ladies picked up their first win of the season by beating Paulton Rovers Ladies 4-1 in the Somerset Women's Cup on Sunday.
Mendip started brightly in this Somerset Women’s cup game, against a Paulton team sitting comfortably mid-table in the Eastern Division of the south west region women’s League.
Megan Stringer, making her debut for Mendip, settled any early nerves with a good defensive display at right-back.
However, after 20 minutes a speculative 25 yard strike from Paulton’s Alex Gwyther gave them an early lead.
The hosts continued to work hard with centre forward Daisy Hutchins putting pressure the Paulton back four at every opportunity.
The half-time whistle bringing a halt to an entertaining first half.
Mendip upped the pace at the start of the second half and were rewarded after just six minutes. A short corner from Erin Duffy to Josie Cherson whose cross found the head of Laura McCarthy.
- 1 Stunning house with large rooms and annexe
- 2 Shop chain will sell products past 'best before' date for as little as 20p
- 3 Covid cases still rising in North Somerset
- 4 First Bus announces major changes to bus services
- 5 Dramatic pictures show garage fire that spread to caravan
- 6 Man SPAT at shop staff in row over face mask
- 7 Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Light Railway: A history
- 8 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 9 'I had to learn to walk again': Weston man talks of strokes - at 31
- 10 Tributes paid to 'caring, loving and funny' 17-year-old who died in collision
Playing her first game of senior football 16-year-old Kelly Jones had been a threat down the left flank since her introduction after 15 minutes of play.
It was her cross which resulted in Mendip’s second goal when Charlotte Suktem converted from inside the box.
Midway through the half Amelle Ford made it 3-1 with a clever run and finish.
Cherson was again involved for Mendip's fourth two minutes from time, sending a 25 yard free kick into the top corner of the Paulton net to conclude the scoring for the afternoon.
PD&CL Building Services joint girls of the game, Josie Cherson and Amelle Ford.
Weston Mendip are back to South West Regional Women's Football League action on Sunday travelling to Oldlands Abbotonians.