Weston register comprehensive victory
- Credit: Archant
Weston continued their promotion push with a comprehesive 156-run victory at Warminster.
WESTON continued their promotion push with a comprehensive 156-run victory at Warminster.
After losing John Davidson in the first over, Edd Brown and Andy Fear put on 177 for the second wicket. Brown was in destructive form as he punished anything short and struck six maximums on his way to a magnificent 101.
Fear was the perfect partner as he rotated the strike with clever running before he was bowled for 49.
A middle order collapse then saw Weston crumble to 230-8 and in danger of falling short of a par score. Ash Allen and Tom Main took the score past 250 before Allen cut loose.
You may also want to watch:
He fell for an excellent 46 after clearing the pavilion with a huge six. Main fell in the last over for a valuable 17, with Weston reaching 296.
Tom Court removed Warminster captain Davie and the dangerous Underdown (20), but the aggressive Bond (29) ensured Warminster matched the required run rate. John Williams then struck with consecutive balls to reduce the home side to 87-4, before Allen (10-2-24-1) had Bateman caught behind by Davidson.
- 1 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 2 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 3 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
- 6 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 7 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 8 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 9 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 10 New leadership team for charity
Williams removed three more to finish with 5-41. Chris Davidson (2-6) removed Hickerton (38) caught behind and followed this up with another edge to wrap up the innings.
Weston again showed their grit to ensure a big total was posted after wasting a good start and the bowlers stuck at the task on a good wicket.
Despite big contributions from Williams and Allen, the InTouchCRM man of the match was Edd Brown.
On Saturday, Weston entertain Glastonbury at Devonshire Road, hoping to increase their lead at the top coming into a crucial part of the season.
J Davidson c Hickerton b Cullinan 0
A Fear b Dredge 49
E Brown c Davie b Hickerton 101
J Williams c Bateman b Davie 19
R Turner c Cullinan b Dredge 13
C Davidson lbw Dredge 1
W Whitell b Davie 2
A Allen c David b Powell 46
M Kearsey b Davie 0
T Main c Bateman b Powell 17
T Court not out 1
R Underdown b Court 20
T Davie lbw Court 1
N Bond b Williams 29
P Hickerton c J Davidson b C Davidson 38
R Davie c J Davidson b Williams 0
N Dredge c Court b Williams 6
J Short b Williams 0
D Webb c Court b Williams 4
R Cullinan not out 9
J Powell c J Davidson b C Davidson 1
Bowling: T Main 5-0-25-0; T Court 6-0-36-2; A Allen 10-2-24-1; J Williams 10-0-44-5; C Davidson 1.2-0-6-2.