Weston AFC media officer takes on 26.2 mile charity challenge
- Credit: Alex Crowther/Shane Dean
Weston AFC's media officer will be running 26.2 miles in January for Prostate Cancer UK.
Liam Drury has already raised £145 and hopes to hit £500 before the end of the month.
Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in the UK, and kills a man every 45 minutes. To put that into context, that's 32 men every day being killed by one specific cancer.
The money raised will be used to fund lifesaving research and will help to support the men that are affected by prostate cancer as well as their families.
When asked about his challenge, Liam said: "Last summer, I started getting into running because I wanted to get fitter and I thought that it was a good time to begin.
You may also want to watch:
"Over the last six months, I've slowly built myself up when running and at the end of December, I came across the fundraiser for Prostate Cancer UK.
"I decided to combine my new-found passion and a good cause, signing up along with thousands of other people to make my running that little bit more worthwhile.
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 3 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
- 4 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 5 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 6 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 7 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 8 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 9 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 10 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
"Thankfully, I don't know anybody that has been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer but for thousands of people across the country, that won't be the case.
"I'd like to thank everyone who has already donated and I look forward to completing the challenge."
You can donate to Liam's fundraiser by heading to http://bit.ly/LiamDruryRun
You can sign up to run 26.2 miles in a month while raising for Prostate Cancer UK by going to runthemonthme.prostatecanceruk.org.