Weston rider qualifies for Horse of the Year Show
- Credit: Archant
An amateur rider from Weston has qualified to compete in the prestigious Horse of the Year Show.
AN amateur rider from Weston has qualified to compete in the South Essex Insurance Brokers (SEIB) Search for a Star Championships at the prestigious Horse of the Year Show.
Chelsey Bartlett earned her coveted place in the final at the qualifying show held at Badgworth Arena, Somerset.
Chelsey, aged 22, qualified in the Riding Horse Hack class, on her own Tara Des. Twenty five entries were split into two groups for the initial judging, and the top six came back for the final judging, where Chelsey was placed second.
She has owned the six-year-old bay gelding for 18 months when Tara Des was brought over from Ireland two years ago by yard owner, Helen Buffin, who backed and brought him on to sell.
You may also want to watch:
Chelsey bought her and kept her on the same yard. Her old thoroughbred horse had arthritis and is no longer able to be ridden, so Des was just what she wanted.
The pair have qualified for the Royal International this year and will head to Hickstead for the small riding horse championship.
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
- 6 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 7 People encouraged to have Covid booster to protect them from virus
- 8 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 9 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 10 WIN: Tickets to UK Pink Floyd at Weston Playhouse
“This is our first season and he is the most laid back six-year-old I have ever known, he should be lying down”, said Chelsey.
“He will cope with the atmosphere at the finals, he is very responsive so should settle really well,” said Chelsey, who works for Weston College as a specialist support worker.