Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- Credit: Weston Rugby Club
Weston Cricket and Rugby Club are mourning the passing of Mike Fletcher.
Fletcher made 339 appearances for Weston RFC in 10 seasons, where he scored 62 tries, 49 penalties, one drop goal and 36 conversions.
The former captain and full-back is listed as number 11 on the club's all-time appearances list and number 13 on the all-time list of points scorers.
And Fletcher was also a member of the side that took on London Welsh in a famous cup tie on January 26, 1980.
"Mike, who was commonly known as 'Fletch', will be remembered as a fantastic rugby player, and a very funny man with an array of superb one-liners that would often have players in stitches on and off the pitch," said a club statement.
You may also want to watch:
"Everyone at Weston RFC extends their condolences to Mike's family and his marvellous record makes Mike one of Weston Rugby Club's true greats."
Fellow teammate Colin Chappell posted on Weston Rugby Club's Facebook page: "Played many games with Mike over the years from Colts to the 1st Team. Competitive to the final whistle. RIP Mike, as I applaud you off the field for the final time."
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 3 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 4 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 5 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 6 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 7 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 8 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 9 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 10 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
Fletcher was also involved with Weston Cricket Club, where he served as their Youth Coach and Youth Chairman in the mid-2000s.
His time with the youth helped lead the club to a number of trophies and cups at all levels.
Chairman Jon Mayo posted on the club's Facebook page: "Mike was an excellent leader and was Youth Chairman for several years at the club and we have volunteers now, myself included, who were warmly welcomed to Weston by Mike.
"Everyone at the club would like to pass on our sincere condolences to Mike’s family and friends at this sad time."
Other tributes posted in the comments included Julie Mayo, who said: "Both Mike and Helen welcomed us to the club when our boys started playing. Lovely people."
Current Weston player Rob Turner also posted a tribute, saying: "Fletch was a lovely guy, I remember him fondly as a great supporter of WSMCC. Only talking about him the other day. Thoughts are with his family."
And Tim Nickolls posted: "Very sorry to hear this. Mike was one of the coaches when my son first became interested in cricket & was very helpful and encouraging. He also came along to a few Campaign for Real Ale socials around that time. He was a great guy & a real character."