Weston run in 12 tries at Old Reds

Weston RFC V Hornets U14's.

Weston RFC V Hornets U14's. - Credit: Archant

Weston Under-15s ran in 12 tries in a 78-0 demolition of Old Reds.

WESTON Under-15s bounced back in emphatic style from last week’s disappointing Somerset Cup exit with an all-action display against Old Reds, running in 12 tries.

Weston went on the offensive straight from the kick-off and on the wide pitch, Weston’s runners and support players were too much for the home side and they found themselves 52-0 up at the break.

To their credit, the Reds refused to go down without a fight and they gave the visitors’ defence a real test. The Weston rearguard was up to the task and they were soon back on the attack, adding a further four second half tries for a final score of 78-0.

Weston’s scorers were Jake Middleton (4), George Bamsey (4), Eddie Davies (2),Tom Hughes and Raul Gray. Archie Tilsley added six conversions and George Bamsey three.

You may also want to watch:

Weston handed debuts to Lucas Williamson and James Leader, who both had good games.

The Under-7s were home to North Petherton and dominated both games with some fine tries scored by Corey Morrisey, who was outstanding in defence.

Most Read

Twins Oliver and Samuel Morgan combined some great passing moves and both got on the score sheet with two tries apiece. Daisy Crompton and Ashleigh Truscott worked well and also scored tries and Charlie Calcutt proved to be as elusive as ever with some fine runs through the opposition defence to score.

Weston were great with their tagging and this proved to be the deciding factor for the win.

The Under-6s hosted North Petherton who put out a strong side and both sides played some fantastic rugby. Frankie Moore and Dillon Drinkwater continued to storm through the defence of the older side, supported by Fred Cox, who displayed some great speed and passing.

William Stiddard held the defensive line well and secured some great tags to deny the away team many tries. Alfie and Ben, new to the Weston line-up, blended well into the team and showed great speed up front to split the strong line of North Petherton, while Joe Rossiter continued to impress with his dynamic runs through the opposition.

With only 12 players available, North Petherton sportingly lent some of their players to help out the Under-12s. It resulted in a pulsating fixture and a scoreline far closer than Weston have ever experienced.

Pethy opened the scoring, but a powerful Charlie Harding run set up Alfie Calcutt to score from close range. Weston stood up to North Petherton until the end of the half when they conceded a second try.

After the break, Petherton scored again, but Weston responded with the best try of the match when Calcutt stole the ball in contact and ran threequarters of the length of the pitch to score.

Whilst Pethy managed another try, it was Weston who were on the front foot at the end.

The Under-8s hosted a good North Petherton team and came away with a share of the spoils.

Weston Reds started off with a narrow defeat, but came back to draw in their second game. Harry Gadson was superb in defence, tagging with a great athleticism, ably supported by Luke.

Roo Beckett, Jack Groom, Ollie Dadds, Leon Beard, Harvey Mount andd Jack Hobbs all made significant contributions. Overall, the side played brilliantly as a unit and it is good to watch the side come together.

Meanwhile, the Weston Blues were winning one game, and losing the other, but again showing great improvements as a unit. Greg Cunnington and Harry Wills both played well, while Dominic Hawkins, JJ Weal, Finley Simpson, Sam Goodare and Jayden Hood all played their part. However, the last word must go to the way in which the team has developed as a defensive unit.

The Under-14s played host to a large Old Reds team. Despite the size of the opposition, Weston played probably their best half of rugby and went on to win 33-26.

Harrison opened the scoring after the forwards had been driven forward. Three more tries came in the first-half through Sonny and two from Reece as Weston led 26-0 at half-time.

In the second period, Old Reds fought back and had pulled 19 points back before Reece scored his third and the winning try under the posts. Old Reds crossed for one last consolation try on the final whistle.

This was a great all-round performance from the Weston team to beat an Old Reds team that had only lost one other game this season.

IN THEIR final game before the Christmas break, Hornets Under-13s hosted a combined Cheddar/Burnham side.

Following a scrum within five metres of the touchline, Lewis bashed through and scored first in the corner for Hornets. A quick Cheddar breakaway was well defended by several Hornets players in the corner to deny a try.

In the second half, a decent Cheddar passing move across the backs resulted in a try in the corner that levelled the scores. From a long kick-off, a Cheddar knock-on resulted in a scrum which Hornets won and Tom H managed to brush off several tackles to touch down for a second try.

Further good pressure from Hornets ensured the ball stayed in the Cheddar half and Hornets eventually won their first game of the season.

For the last game of the year, the Under-9s took on Gordano with a squad of roughly equal size, which meant everyone got game time as both clubs split into two teams each to play a total of four games.

One half of the Hornets squad had a tough morning, despite doing everything asked by the coaches. Not quite managing to get over the line on several occasions meant turnover ball for the Sharks, who took advantage of some lethargic tackling to keep the try count in Gordano’s favour.

With the other half of the Hornets squad, it was a different story with this team managing to find holes in the Sharks’ defence with some elusive running and being solid in defence and managing to outscore Gordano in both games played.

Despite the differing fortunes, both teams and all the players have areas to develop on over the next couple of training sessions before entertaining Winscombe in the New Year.

The Under-15s defeated Clifton 33-25 in an exciting encounter. Hornets took the lead when Andrew Meaghan crossed, converted by Casper Harriott.

Good work by Mike Brook and Meaghan led to Callum Leonard touching down, against converted by Harriott. Tom Bailey scored next before Clifton replied with a try just before the break.

In the second half, Hornets scored two more tries through Tyler Hayes and Leonard, one converted by Quinton. Clifton came back with four tries, but Hornets held out for victory.

Luke Collins, Sam Forster and Charlie Bartlett all had good games.

WINSCOMBE Under-16s enjoyed an emphatic 55-7 victory over Wells.

They were first on the score sheet when George Marsh and George Harrison set up Joe Hartshorne to score. Wells replied with a converted try, despite a good tackle by full-back Pat Merrifield.

Combe soon took the lead again with a try for Joe Duran, followed by another for Gabe Stratford, who collected the ball which Hartshorne had neatly chipped through the home side’s defence.

The final try before the break came once again from Duran, who neatly side-stepped the Wells defence to put his side 24-7 up at half-time.

Duran was again on the score sheet soon after the game restarted following some great teamwork Thomas Amer, converted by Tom Fear. Combe kept up the pressure and Duran scored his fourth try of the morning, followed by a try for Amer.

Further tries were scored by Sam White and Hartshorne to make the final score 55-7.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter