Weston runners do it twice on seafront
- Credit: Archant
Weston seafront was a busy place for Weston athletes, as they took part in the prom run and the Weston Half Marathon.
AS IF the five-mile prom run was not enough, Weston Athletic Club runners were back out on the seafront to take on the third annual Weston Half Marathon.
The 13.1-mile route features an out and back course of two laps, taking in the full length of the prom and toll road.
Kieron Summers showed no signs of losing his current run of top form, finishing first for the club’s men in 1.20.37. Matt Huxtable took the club’s second spot in 1.23.46, and Dave Stock third in 1.24.57.
Nia Davies was the club’s first female to finish in 1.47.09. Edel Robbins finished second in 1.52.34, and Julie Bailiss, running in her first half marathon, finished third in 1.55.24.
Julie was closely followed by Helen Diamond just four seconds later, who, like Mandy Nash, was completing her third personal best timed race in the last week.
Some familiar names in the club’s top placed runners at the October prom run which saw Summers clock the quickest time again for the second race in the series in 29.07. Huxtable crossed the line next in 29.22, with Dave Bourne breathing down his neck in 29.26.
- 1 Weston's bodybuilding world champion dismisses misconceptions
- 2 Appeal after biker hospitalised in crash
- 3 Weston town centre improvement works to be 'finished in weeks'
- 4 Extension to cycling route could be approved next year
- 5 Teachers at school take on Movember challenge
- 6 Weston MP tells Boris Johnson UK childcare is among 'most unaffordable'
- 7 How Somerset's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 8 Weston street comes together to switch-on Christmas lights
- 9 Consultation to rename the Sovereign Centre begins tomorrow
- 10 A370 to close this evening for first of 10 nights of roadworks
New member Zoe Barber proved she’s one to watch finishing in 35.56. Katie Gormley finished a minute later in 36.57 and Michelle Fryer took third in 37.28.
Five of the club’s men finished the race in under half an hour, on a night which saw a record turnout for the race with 339 finishers.
The one-mile junior race is also continuing to grow in popularity. Jaylan Bacon, Jude Noon and Jack Wilkinson finished first for the boys in 5.22, 5.42 and 5.46 respectively.
Indeigh Winterson was the first girl to complete the distance in 6.11, closely followed by Maise Squire and Connie Ballentine.
Congratulations also to Dave Cowell, the club’s only competitor in the New York City Marathon. Dave completed the race in 3.51.32.
Entry is now open for the club’s annual Hangover 10k race which takes place on New Year’s Day and follows a two-lap route through Kewstoke and Sand Bay.
For more information about this and all the club’s activities visit www.westonac.co.uk