Weston’s big FA Cup day arrives
- Credit: Archant
THE big day has arrived as the FA Cup stolls into town for Weston’s biggest home game in their history.
Mickey Bell’s men are looking to prove the magic of the cup is still alive as they take on Doncaster Rovers this afternoon, kick-off 3pm, and look to overcome the four-division gulf between the sides and emerge victorious.
The town has become the centre of national spotlight since the draw was made less than two weeks ago, and Football Focus will be broadcast live from the Woodspring Stadium at 12.20pm on BBC One, featuring Dan Walker, Mark Lawrenson and Jason Roberts, while the FA Cup trophy itself will also be in Weston from 11am-3pm.
Ticket sales are set to eclipse Weston’s largest ever crowd, for an FA Cup first round replay in 1994, with well in excess of 2,500 sold so far.
Despite enduring a tough few weeks in their league endeavours, Weston have beaten Banbury United, Flackwell Heath and Witham Town to reach this stage, picking up almost £25,000 in prize money to date, and would surely pull off one of the shocks of recent years should they find a way past Paul Dickov’s men.
You may also want to watch:
Bell told the Mercury: “It’s getting really exciting the way the momentum is growing and ticket sales still rising. But we have got to treat it as normally as we can, and go about our work as we would if it were a league game.
“Obviously, it’s going to be very difficult and we are under no illusions, but we are going to try and play our game as best we can, and try to play the match and not the occasion, and maybe even enjoy it.”
The Mercury team will be down at the Woodspring Stadium providing live updates from the game via our Twitter account, and you can enjoy full coverage of the game and interviews with players and managers in next week’s paper.
- 1 Gates to be replaced as work continues to reopen Marine Lake
- 2 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 3 Disruption to school transport due to driver shortage
- 4 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 5 Council issues advice after collapse of energy companies
- 6 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 7 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 8 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 9 Go Again complete sponsored walk from Ashton Gate to Optima
- 10 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront