Weston’s captain pledges to stay on another year
WESTON’S captain Craig Rand has agreed to play on another another season at the Woodspring Stadium.
The 28-year-old defender was ever-present in the team last season, helping the club toward a 12th place finish in the Blue Square South.
And on the eve of the side’s victory in the Somerset Premier Cup final against Yeovil Town, Rand was given the Long Playing Service Award.
This week, the former Sheffield Wednesday player agreed to see out his one-year part-time contract by signing FA forms to play for Weston next season.
He has been joined by Brett Trowbridge, Jamie Laid and Matt Villis – who all signed one-year extensions to their contracts.
You may also want to watch:
Contract offers have also been sent out to Sahr Kabba, Ben Kirk and Dayle Grubb.
Craig Laird said: “This is terrific news and I am very confident that more players will sign for us in the near future.
- 1 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 2 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 New leadership team for charity
- 8 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 9 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 10 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
“It is a mark of the team spirit in the camp that has made the players want to stay.”
Club secretary Richard Sloane is drawing up new deals for all out-of-contract players at the club after Craig said he wished to hold on to his team.
He is also hoping to add a few more faces, including former Athletic Bilbao player Anton Olando.
The 23-year-old midfielder last played in England under Craig at Bridgwater Town two years ago.
The club has also announced it is to continue playing in white and black for next season.
A new red strip will be used for the side’s second strip.