Weston seconds extend their lead
Weston 2nd XI take a four-point lead into the Christmas break.
Weston 2nd XI 4
Westbury F 1
WESTON seconds looked to extend their position at the top of West Central Division 3 and guarantee going into the New Year as league leaders.
In the first minute, Sam Neate was involved in a slick passing move between Beer and McCarthy, resulting in Neate slotting the ball home under the advancing keeper to give Weston an early lead.
You may also want to watch:
The next attack saw Weston double their lead as Neate and Beer combined well again, with the latter finishing to make it 2-0 after two minutes of play.
The Weston midfield of Mobsby, Thorne, Williams and Slater dominated the early exchanges, creating plenty of chances, but the visiting keeper came into his own and Weston could not find a way past him.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 4 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 5 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 6 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 7 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 8 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 9 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 10 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
Mercedes Benz man of the match Paul Ninnis had a few chances before McCarthy finished well to make the score 3-0 at half-time.
After the break, Westcott, Lucas and Duckett held firm at the back and Canter had an excellent game in goal, but a lapse in concentration saw Westbury pull a goal back.
Weston hit back and Beer finally managed to beat the Westbury keeper after many attempts from short corners to restore the home team’s three-goal advantage.
The game finished shortly after and with Weston’s nearest rivals dropping points, they go into the Christmas break four points clear at the top of the table having secured their first double of the season.
Training will begin again on January 7, 2015, but during the break, the club will be running some indoor hockey sessions at Priory School. If anybody is interested in playing, they can find out more details on the club page http://weston-super-mare-hockey.org.uk