Weston slump after the break
- Credit: Archant
After leading by a single point at half-time, Weston conceded five tries in the second half to slump to defeat against Old Redcliffians.
AT the interval at Scotland Lane, Weston led by a single point, but in the second half, the Redcliffians scored five tries without reply to send the visitors to their 11th defeat of the season.
The Seasiders had started well with a brace of penalties by fly-half Jack Skelton, but as the half-hour approached the hosts scored tries by scrum-half Richard Stevens and wing Henry Bird to lead by 10-6.
But in the 35th minute, thrusts by skipper David Swann and centre Sylvan Edwards paved the way for a try by George Sparks for that narrow advantage.
But the hosts hit back at the start of the second half and by the 55th minute they had taken the score to 27-11. Tries by Stevens, flanker Anthony Davies and Bird, converted by Ashley Groves, had given Weston a mountain to climb.
You may also want to watch:
Although Weston enjoyed plenty of possession, the Reds’ blitz defence prevented any further scores and in the 83rd and 85th minutes they finished things off with tries by Bird, who completed his hat-trick, and centre David Harris.
Weston: R Bennett, R Mackay, K Middlemiss, S Edwards, M Watkins, J Skelton, S Smee, D Swann (c), C Withers, D Price, D Bufton, S Hudson, J Pullin, B Cox, G Sparks. Replacements used: S Donegan, E Hunt and H Jones.
- 1 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 2 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 3 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 4 Cosmetics company creates candle to raise cash for Weston Hospicecare
- 5 Weston Hospicecare postpones Men's March due to possible lockdown extension
- 6 Community shop seeks new manager
- 7 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 8 Schools advised not to use mass testing as an alternative to isolation
- 9 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 10 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
This was a disappointing performance by Weston who had no answer to the Redcliffians after the break, and it was as well that the hosts could convert only one of their seven tries.
The Seasiders face another tough task on Saturday and supporters should note that the kick-off for this match will be at the earlier time of 2.30pm and not 3pm as previously advertised.