Weston-super-Mare complete pre-season with classy win
- Credit: Archant
Weston finished their pre-season campaign in style with a classy 6-1 win over Evo-Stik Southern League side Paulton Rovers.
Paulton Rovers 1
Having been on the end of some damning defeats throughout pre-season, Weston finally managed to be on the winning side of a heavy score-line.
The Seagulls opened the scoring after 15 minutes when Jacob Cane won the ball well in midfield and ran through the home side’s defence. His finish was easy enough as he coolly slotted home past Ed Baldy in the Paulton goal.
You may also want to watch:
Jake Mawford continued his brilliant reign of form throughout the season’s preparations as he scored twice before the break.
Mawford continued to trouble Rovers and secured his hat trick on 72 minutes. He hammered home from Joe McClennan’s inch-perfect cross.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 3 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 4 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 5 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 6 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 7 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 8 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 9 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 10 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
The home side did pull one back two minutes later through youth player Will Hailstone.
But Weston were not finished and Jason Hope added a fifth before Mawford scored a late penalty to take his tally to four and the team’s to six.
It was a comfortable win for the Seagulls but the real test is on Saturday when Weston welcome Whitehawk for the opening game of the season.
The match at the Woodspring Stadium will kick off at 3pm.
Weston have not won an opening day fixture since 2010 and will be hoping to buck that trend during the 2016/2017 season.