Weston swimmers set best times at British Championships
- Credit: Archant
Three members of Weston Swimming Club reached the finals of the British Championships held at the London Aquatic Centre.
THREE Weston Swimming Club members attended the British Championships held at the London Aquatic Centre.
To qualify for this meet was a huge achievement in itself, only a few dozen swimmers across the country qualified for each event.
Britain’s best swimmers descend upon the venue in the hope of qualifying for this summer’s World Championships (Kazan, Russia), European Youth Olympic Festival (Tbilisi, Georgia) and European Games (Baku, Azerbaijan).
Rachel Anderson, in the 1999/2000 age group, swam multiple events, equalling her best times and qualifying for a final in the 200m backstroke.
Rising to the occasion, Marcus Gardiner’s heat swim in the 100m breaststroke was a lifetime best (1.04.97) by almost a second. He was drawn against the short course world record holder, Adam Peaty, who went on to set a new long course world record, in the final that evening.
Having set herself the season’s goal of qualifying for European Games, Evan King’s 200m butterfly heat swim (2.15.26) was a lifetime best by a second and within the minimum qualifying time for European Games selection.
- 1 Weston's bodybuilding world champion dismisses misconceptions
- 2 Appeal after biker hospitalised in crash
- 3 Weston town centre improvement works to be 'finished in weeks'
- 4 Teachers at school take on Movember challenge
- 5 Extension to cycling route could be approved next year
- 6 Weston MP tells Boris Johnson UK childcare is among 'most unaffordable'
- 7 New community fridge opens in the Sovereign Centre
- 8 How Somerset's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 Famous spoof awards winner announced
- 10 A370 to close this evening for first of 10 nights of roadworks
Head swimming coach, Rachel Aldington, is hugely proud of the trio. “These swimmers are highly motivated and focused on success. They train up to 10 times a week and encourage their team-mates to attain their goals too.”
If you are interested in joining, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com