Weston swimmers set best times at British Championships
- Credit: Archant
Three members of Weston Swimming Club reached the finals of the British Championships held at the London Aquatic Centre.
THREE Weston Swimming Club members attended the British Championships held at the London Aquatic Centre.
To qualify for this meet was a huge achievement in itself, only a few dozen swimmers across the country qualified for each event.
Britain’s best swimmers descend upon the venue in the hope of qualifying for this summer’s World Championships (Kazan, Russia), European Youth Olympic Festival (Tbilisi, Georgia) and European Games (Baku, Azerbaijan).
Rachel Anderson, in the 1999/2000 age group, swam multiple events, equalling her best times and qualifying for a final in the 200m backstroke.
You may also want to watch:
Rising to the occasion, Marcus Gardiner’s heat swim in the 100m breaststroke was a lifetime best (1.04.97) by almost a second. He was drawn against the short course world record holder, Adam Peaty, who went on to set a new long course world record, in the final that evening.
Having set herself the season’s goal of qualifying for European Games, Evan King’s 200m butterfly heat swim (2.15.26) was a lifetime best by a second and within the minimum qualifying time for European Games selection.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 5 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 6 Hospital trust defends patient-to-nurses ratio increase
- 7 Weston shop offering personalised fudge gift boxes
- 8 Airport to receive £8million grant to 'protect jobs'
- 9 Mural nears completion in Weston
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Head swimming coach, Rachel Aldington, is hugely proud of the trio. “These swimmers are highly motivated and focused on success. They train up to 10 times a week and encourage their team-mates to attain their goals too.”
If you are interested in joining, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org