Weston Town cause a cup upset

THE magic of the cup was alive and kicking last weekend when Third division side Weston Town Under-14s knocked out First Division Nailsea United in a pulsating quarter final.

THE magic of the cup was alive and kicking last weekend when Third division side Weston Town Under-14s knocked out First Division Nailsea United in a pulsating quarter final.

Nailsea immediately put Weston on the back foot with some clever play through midfield, but could beat a solid Weston defence.

The first chance of the game fell to Weston when a long ball was dropped by the Nailsea keeper. Weston centre forward Dan Berry reacted quickly, but his effort was deflected wide for a corner.

He did not have to wait long for another chance and this time when the ball fell at his feet, he swivelled and fired his shot into the net for the only goal of the half.

You may also want to watch:

The second half saw end-to-end football and the best move of the game, Weston doubled their lead. After some good interplay, the ball was squared to the edge of the area where Jack Hockey powered an unstoppable shot into the corner.

To their credit, Nailsea piled on the pressure and were particularly dangerous from set pieces and it was from a corner that they managed to scramble a goal to put the tie in the balance.

Most Read

Nailsea had a chance to equalise with a one-on-one with keeper Killian Vick, but he pulled off a fine save to keep the slender lead intact. He went on to secure the Weston Super Frames man of the match award with a superb goalkeeping display as Weston head for the semi-finals.

HUTTON Under-13s progressed to the semi-final of the Knockout Cup with a convincing 12-1 win against a spirited Gordano side.

After only a few minutes, Hutton took the lead when striker Nathan James set up fellow striker Zak Westwood, who crashed his shot in off the post for a 1-0 lead.

Sloppy play by Hutton gifted Gordano a quick break and was finished off with a powerful shot giving goalkeeper Oliver Edwards no chance.

Hutton soon replied with James Chudley playing an unselfish pass to Westwood, who slotted home for his second. At the back, the defence of Alex Kilpatrick, Ryan Jefferies, Stefan Thomson-Rose and George Thorne dealt comfortably with most threats, protecting Edwards in goal.

In midfield, Josh Pratt, James Difford, Alfie Hardy and Chudley battled well creating many chances for the strikers and fellow midfielders.

Josh won possession outside the box and played a good ball to Difford who slotted home making it 3-1. Further goals came from Westwood and Chudley.

After the break, James set up Westwood for his fourth goal, soon followed by his fifth and Hutton’s seventh. James headed in the next goal, followed by a penalty by Difford.

Substitutes Elliott Smith and striker Matthew Jones slotted in well making some good passes and linking well. Difford made it 10 for his hat-trick and goals from Thorne and Matthew Jones finished the scoring.

The A 2 Z Gardening and Tree Maintenance man of the match went to James Difford.

The Under-12s played at Clevedon United and won 6-1. Hutton were on top form in this match and played some neat passing football.

Starting with Sam Smith and Tom Hayes up front, with Ben Grice in between, three midfielders of Fraser Ham, Billy Miller and Morgan Bacon, while at the back Rhys Davies, Marios Micheal, Joe Taylor and Liam Birch and in goal Charlie Walford.

Hutton got a good goal when Smith won the ball and squared to Hayes who scored. Smith, Ham, Snowey all went close before Grice split the Clevedon defence to set up Hayes to score. Hutton brought on Lewis McLean, Eli Butt and Tom Miller just before half-time.

After the break, Hutton had a good start when Snowy scored a penalty. Hayes completed his hat-trick when he beat two players in the box. Snowey, Davies and Miller all had shots saved, before Butt scored after a good knock down by Smith from a Miller corner.

Smith again became provider when his square ball saw Butt score. Hutton let slip a clean sheet when they let in Clevedon for a consolation goal.

The Grand Pier man of the match went to Sam Smith.

KEWSTOKE Athletic Under-14s visited Yatton and came away with three goals and a clean sheet after displaying excellent skill and discipline on the pitch.

Kewstoke started strongly which paid off in the first-half with a goal from Corey Kellaway. Stout defending from keeper James Adams, Kaylem Rowlands, James Biggs, Kieran Smith and Harry Walsh kept the away side in control.

The strong midfield of Theo Payan, Kieron Malone, Marc Frost, Olly Norville and Thomas Lloyd Evans piled on the pressure, resulting in a cracking drive from Josh Donoghue, which was saved by the home side’s keeper at full stretch.

The second half opened with Kewstoke earning a penalty after five minutes. Captain Harry Walsh calmly netted. At 2-0 the visitors were in control and a further goal came when the ball deflected from the keeper and was tapped in by Lloyd Evans.

UK installations man of the match was Theo Payan, improved performance: Harry Walsh and star of the week: Marc Frost.

Kewstoke’s Under-10s A first home game of the year against Milton Nomads kicked off a little later than usual due to the frost.

Kieran Hill was out due to sickness, but Mickey Nicholls filled in well, feeding Jake Manville and Genethius Teboh, as did Ryan Pugh.

Counter attacks from Milton were defended well by the back two of Charlie Sweeting and George Creech, as the first half ended scoreless.

Kewstoke took the lead after the break when Pugh scored from a pass from Manville.

Kewstoke looked for a second with some great play from Joel Crinson, Mateo Turvey and Teboh later on.

The Milton keeper and defence did well to repel Kewstoke with chances coming from well taken corners from Crinson. A mix-up in the Kewstoke defence saw a goal for Milton.

With Kewstoke hitting the woodwork twice and Sam Carter flipping a Milton shot over the bar in the last few minutes, this game finished 1-1.

Andy Page Web Design man of the match went to Charlie Sweeting.

The Under-10s B team took on title rivals Milton Nomads. Szymon Swiercrwna dominated the centre of the park, assisted by some great wing work from Ryan Hill and Adam Bungay.

A nice passing move was rewarded with a fine finish from Sam Ford, with a second goal coming from a deflected Ashley Hastewell shot. Bungay and Hastewell were both unfortunate not add to the score.

The second half saw a fine performance from Jake Dunn and his hard work helped Ford score his second and Kewstoke’s third. Nomads showed great character as they continued to fight every ball, but the Kewstoke defence of Evan Brunsden, Tim Page and captain Thomas Perry were again solid throughout, marshalled well again by a confident Daniel Layden in goal.

Sam Ford picked up man of the match and it finished 3-0 to Kewstoke.

Kewstoke Under-12s Juniors travelled to Clevedon, who had not been beaten at home in three years.

Kewstoke started lively which led to an early goal from Liam Campkin, hitting the net at the second attempt. Clevedon immediately responded with Walker just hitting the ball over the Kewstoke goal.

The visitors went 2-0 up after a great through ball from Campkin found the run of Ryan Anelay, whose shot was turned into their own net by the Clevedon defence.

The Kewstoke defence repelled most of what Clevedon threw at them, with solid performances by goalkeeper Lewis Tremlett, centre-back Edward Deane and right-back Jack English, who brilliantly cleared off the line in the second half.

Another determined performance by Nathaniel Groom deputising at centre-back and finally a brilliant match winning performance by left-back Aidan Mckenna.

Kewstoke Under-14s recorded a convincing 6-0 win away to Gordano. Their intent was clear from the off, with a full blooded attack creating many scoring chances.

Jake Sprague opened the scoring followed by another by Rhys Spurling. This was quickly followed with two goals from James Pounsbury, shortly before half-time.

The second half saw some great team play, which led to goals from Sprague and Spurling. This keeps Kewstoke at the top of a close league.

The Ridgway Pine men of the match were Jacob D’Arcy and James Pounsbury.

The Under-15s beat Hutton Juniors 5-2 away from home.

As the tackles flew in, Kewstoke deservedly went 1-0 up when James Hodgkinson calmly slotted home. Hutton immediately counter-attacked and following a long ball and a defensive mix-up equalised.

The midfield of James Hodgkinson, Ben Harris, Jordan Sole, Syd Camper and Lawrence Mayer worked hard to wrestle back the advantage and their hard work was rewarded when Ben Harris put Kewstoke 2-1 up from a free-kick. Against the run of play, Hutton levelled just before the break.

The back four of Lewis Clamp, Josh Selwyn, Tyler Marshman and Michael Deane came out in the second half with a determination not to let Hutton back in the game again.

Ryan Hill led the line superbly up front got the reward when he put Kewstoke 3-2 up shortly after the break. In a tactical switch, Connor Andrew came on at the back and put in assured performance before having to come off injured.

Luke Bryant put in a good performance in goal and Camper capped a fine performance with a cracking goal from another free-kick. The icing on the cake was a superbly worked goal for Harris.

SB Fencing man of the match was awarded to Lawrence Mayer.

IT WAS certainly a game of two halves with Crusaders Under-15s having the better of the first period.

Luke Loveridge was rarely troubled in goal with Callum Bliss-Climo, Tom Light, Mike Hosey and Billy Morrissey clearing the long ball. In the middle of the park, Joe Godfrey, Cyrus Molton, Ryan Elkins and Jordan Bolitho set up the front two of James Lawrence and Aaron Thomas, but Portisheads’ keeper was in fine form and it took an unstoppable strike from Bolitho to open the scoring for Crusaders.

At 1-0, Crusaders always looked like they could score again and it was a free kick from Bolitho that doubled the lead. The third goal came from the penalty spot when Bliss-Climo netted, but just before half-time Portishead pulled a goal back.

The second half was a well contested battle with Portishead having more of the play, this coincided with changes and the introduction of Mike Dancer, Callum Wilson, Kieren White and Jack Bridgman. Portishead scored to make it 3-2.

This gave Portishead the momentum they needed and three minutes from time they equalised from a free kick.

Jordan Bolitho was awarded Formula First man of the match.

A DELAYED kick-off enabled this match to beat the freeze, but Winscombe Under-11s soon wished that it hadn’t as high flying Long Ashton punished some early mistakes.

A Long Ashton striker beat three defenders and his shot beat keeper Ben Meakin. Winscombe were forced to reshape their defence as defender Will Shergold limped off the pitch.

Long Ashton soon doubled their lead with a dipping shot from outside of the area and Meakin was deceived by the bounce of the ball for a soft third goal.

At the other end, George Fairchild had a shot blocked and Theo Thornton-Matthews shot was saved by the Long Ashton keeper. Jai Nevison, Jack Drake and Toby Chambers battled hard to get Winscombe back in the game, but Meakin was again unlucky as the ball bounced past him for a fourth goal.

However, Winscombe finished the half on a positive note as Fairchild beat four players only to see his shot go narrowly wide.

After the break, Fairchild skipped past two players and his shot was too hot for the Long Ashton keeper to handle and Matthew Gilmore netted the rebound. Soon afterwards, a Billy Berry shot was spilled and man of the match Gilmore was just wide.

Long Ashton responded with an effort going wide and then forcing a top quality save from Meakin. Winscombe defenders James Ford, James Hart and Toby Willcock seemed more settled in the second half.

This allowed Winscombe to push forwards in search of a second goal and captain Piers Langford saw his fine effort whistle just past the post. In the dying seconds, Long Ashton scored a fifth goal.

WORLE Under-12s entertained Portishead United in a friendly, but lost 5-3.

Worle got off to a great start with JT scoring, but Portishead equalised soon after. Straight from the kick-off, Zac hit a tremendous shot for a 2-1 lead, but at the break, Portishead headed in 4-2 up.

Jack came off the bench and converted a penalty to make it 4-3. Worle then gave a penalty away which was missed, but Portishead made amends by scoring the final goal of the game for a 5-3 win.

Special mentions go to Sam, Ben and Nathan Collier, who played really well.

PRIORY Rangers Under-16s entered this game against Backwell in fine form and were riding high after their previous week’s win.

Backwell took the lead after five minutes when a free kick from 25 yards eluded Callum Neate in the Priory goal. The Priory midfield of Joe Reames, Ben Macaulay, Kyle Smith and pro footballfives.co.uk man of the match Ross Goldstone had to dig deep to try to create anything.

All the creativity though was coming from left-back Ashley Smith who, time after time, pushed Backwell into making errors. Priory were only limited to a couple of shots in the first half as Backwell remained solid.

The second half saw Priory increase the pressure on Backwell and solid defensive play from Marcus Dudd, Ross Wood, John Hunt and Chris Bridges ensured Backwell were kept out.

Priory eventually equalised when Angelo Fagnani fired home from 10 yards. Priory continued to bombard Backwell and their efforts were rewarded when Goldstone was brought down in the area and Smith fired home from the spot.

Priory brought on Joe Cox whose work rate and effort ensured Backwell had plenty to think about. The introduction of Declan Whittle later on earned Priory a third goal.

Whittle won the ball in his own half and set Jack Hodrien in on goal, but he was fouled in the penalty area. Hodrien dusted himself off and netted. With the game virtually over, Backwell scored their second. Priory held out over the remaining few seconds to record their sixth win in a row.

BANWELL Under-14s produced their best performance of the season, beating Winscombe 4-1.

With only 10 players due to illness, Banwell had to battle for every ball. Keeper Jordan Sotiris was at his best, dominating the goal area at corners and producing some top class saves.

Banwell took the lead when captain Joe Brett broke from midfield and crossed for Jake Thomas to score. Although Winscombe had a lot of possession, they found the Banwell defence of Ollie Habgood, Joe Lawrence, Ethan Johnson and Sam Bond at their best.

In the second half, Banwell added a second goal through Brett after good work by Aron Staples, who had a excellent match. Winscombe pressure led to a goal, but Thomas scored his second to restore Banwell’s two-goal lead.

The midfield of Mitchell Collins, Keiran Bellingham, Staples and Brett were all great and Thomas alone up front never stopped running.

It was left to Brett to score his second goal and Banwell’s fourth for an outstanding team display. Man of the match was Ollie Habgood.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus