Weston Town move clear of chasing pack

Weston Town Under-13s defeated Cheddar in a close encounter.

WESTON Town Under-13s won a close encounter against a strong challenge from Cheddar.

The defence of Snell in goal behind a back four of Swires, Murphy, Manaton and Sharp worked well together and held strong against several good Cheddar attacks.

Pritchet and Kelly once again bossed the midfield with Maidment and Large giving the team width on the wings and Heal positioned just behind the striker Thomas.

Weston went ahead after just seven minutes, great work from Heal on the edge of the area played in Large, who netted. Five minutes later, Maidment clipped a great ball high into the area for Thomas to finish at the back post.

You may also want to watch:

Cheddar rallied and took control of the game and pulled a goal back before Weston scored a third, a free-kick by Manaton was spilled by the keeper, only for Heal to follow in and score.

Cheddar pulled a goal back within three minutes of the restart and Weston were left hanging on at the end, with great work from the defence and especially man of the match Snell, who made two fantastic one-on-one saves.

Most Read

WESTON Crusaders Under-13s came up against neighbours Priory Pumas at Baytree Rec.

After a lively start, Jake turned in a long throw from James and a great flowing team move saw James make it two. Harry made an excellent stop in goal before Charlie crossed for Jake to get his second.

Ethan squared it for Tom to curl in from the edge of the box, before Tom’s long free kick eluded everyone and nestled in the back of the net. Jake hit the bar and Ethan had a shot scrambled off the line before a brave header from Jake set up Charlie to make it an emphatic 6-0 win.

Thomas, Blondie, Snedds and Reece were all resolute in defence, while Ben and Aidan were industrious in midfield in a great team performance. Man of the match went to Jake.

CURRENT Division 2 leaders Portishead entertained third-placed Uphill Castle Under-16s and recorded a 3-1 victory.

Uphill started the brighter and should have taken the lead when McKenna’s cross was met by Bromley, but his header went over the bar. Portishead took the lead from a speculative shot that beat Ollie Hathway and came off the underside of the bar.

Callum then provided a great ball into the box and this time Lucas’s header went just wide before Portishead converted a penalty and scored another just before the break to make it 3-0.

Hathway made two fine saves in two minutes before Elliman beat several defenders before scoring with a great finish, 3-1. Seymour Roofing man of the match went to Ed Deane.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus