Weston unlucky to lose at Gosport
- Credit: Archant
Weston went down by just one goal in a game spoilt by a gale-force wind and heavy rain.
GOSPORT BOROUGH 1
WESTON were on the receiving end of several puzzling refereeing decisions as they went down by the only score in a game spoilt by a gale-force wind and continuous heavy rain.
Afterwards, Gosport manager Alex Pike admitted that Weston played the better football in the conditions and did not deserve to lose.
You may also want to watch:
In the scoreless first-half, playing down the slight slope, Weston went close on 25 minutes when Alex Byrne’s swerving shot was tipped over his crossbar by keeper Nathan Ashmore for one of nine Weston corners.
Gosport had more of the play in the second half and they came close on 71 minutes when George Barker hit a post with a 20-yard free kick, the ball coming back into play.
- 1 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 10 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
The goal came a minute later when Bradley Ash chested the ball down, but it unfortunately ran down his arm and the Kent-based official awarded a penalty which Gosport top scorer Justin Bennett converted, despite strong protests from the Weston players.
Minutes from the end, the official showed a red card to Weston’s Tristan Plummer, although he admitted not seeing the incident despite being nearer, and relied on his assistant who was some distance away.
The loss sees Weston drop one place in the Vanarama National League South table.
Goal: Gosport, Bennett (72 penalty).
Shots on target: Gosport 2, Weston 2.
Shots off target: Gosport 3, Weston 2.
Corners: Gosport 6, Weston 7.
Offsides: Gosport 2, Weston 1.
Free kicks conceded: Gosport 5, Weston7.
Referee: Paul Kelly (Kent). Poor game.
Bookings: Gosport, Williams. Weston, Plummer (red), Barnes, Edge, Cane, Ash.
Weston squad: Purnell, Keary, Barnes, Edge, Cane (Mawford 77), Byrne, McClennan, Ash (Wilson 83), Plummer, Grubb, Withey. Subs (not used): Llewellyn, Burton.
ON Saturday, Weston entertain St Albans in the league, the side that knocked Weston out of the FA Cup and will be looking for revenge.
On Tuesday next, November 24, Weston entertain Havant and Waterlooville in a re-arranged league match (7.45pm).