Weston victory moves them to within one point of safety
- Credit: Archant
An 83rd minute goal by Jake Mawford gave Weston victory over Margate.
WESTON are just one point from Vanarama Conference South safety following this win over full-time Margate and they have games in hand over the clubs just above them.
The only goal of an entertaining game was scored in the 83rd minute by substitute Jake Mawford in his first game back from a loan spell at Paulton Rovers of the Southern Premier League.
You may also want to watch:
Manager Ryan Northmore shuffled his pack, recalling Jake Llewellyn, Jamie Edge and Joe McClennan to the starting line-up in place of Ollie Barnes, Kane Ingram and Danny Pope.
Margate, hoping to bounce back from four straight defeats, were first to show, forcing a corner in the opening minutes. They came close on six minutes when Dion Dembie-Ferris, on loan from Colchester United, burst through the home defence, but keeper Luke Purnell was quickly off his lime to clear.
- 1 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 2 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 3 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 4 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 5 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 6 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 7 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 8 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
- 9 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 10 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
As Weston began to take control, Tristan Plummer had two strong efforts beaten out by Margate keeper Chris Lewington and just before the break Lewington had to go full-length to turn skipper Dayle Grubb’s low free kick behind for a corner.
Early in the second half, Margate attacked strongly, forcing a couple of corners and Dembie-Ferris and Luke Moore went close with headers.
Back came Weston, forcing a corner with Mawford, who replaced McClennan, heading narrowly over and Ingram, on for Edge, had a strong effort beaten out by Lewington.
After the goal, Margate dominated looking for an equaliser and they forced several corners, but the home defence of Sekani Simpson, Llewellyn, Clayton Fortune and Pat Keary well protected Purnell, denying efforts on target.
Goal: Weston, Mawford (83).
Shots on target: Weston 5, Margate 1.
Shots off target: Weston 4, Margate 4.
Corners: Weston 6, Margate 7.
Offsides: Weston 1, Margate 6.
Free kicks conceded: Weston 5, Margate 9.
Referee: Savvas Yianni. A late replacement and had an excellent game.
Bookings: Margate Wassmer.
Weston squad: Purnell, Simpson, Llewellyn, Cane, Keary, Fortune, McClennan (Mawford 71), Plummer (Pope 85), Wilson, Grubb, Edge (Ingram 71). Subs (not used): Varouxakis, Wring.
ON Saturday, Weston travel to bottom side Basingstoke Town and on Tuesday are away at Truro City.