Weston win the cup for a seventh time

WESTON 35 pts BRISTOL HARLEQUINS 22 pts - WESTON'S season ended on a high note as they lifted the Somerset Cup for the seventh time when they defeated Bristol Harlequins.

WESTON 35 ptsBRISTOL HARLEQUINS 22 ptsWESTON'S season ended on a high note as they lifted the Somerset Cup for the seventh time when they defeated Bristol Harlequins by three goals, a try and three penalties to two goals, a try and a penalty at an immaculate Keynsham ground.The match was a feisty affair, but, importantly, the Seasiders kept their discipline which is more than can be said for Quins who lost theirs at the end of the first half to give Weston some breathing space, and after the break referee Adam Friend lost patience and dealt three yellow cards to the Somerset Premier club.Weston were almost ahead in the first minute, but Kirk Middlemiss was adjudged offside as he touched down at the right corner. But two minutes later, James Reid's long break was rewarded with a try by the supporting George Wright.James Mackay converted, but Quins replied with Ross Hickery's penalty before Weston increased their lead.Ross Bennett's kick and chase was scrambled into touch and when Ed Smith won the five-metre line-out, Dan Fry dived over at the left corner.Mackay converted from the touchline, but Quins were soon back in contention when replacement Simon Steele was awarded a try when he chased Scott Manning's kick to the line.But David Burge's team was now in the ascendancy and after Wright had gone close, Quins' discipline started to fray and Mackay punished them with three penalties in seven minutes before the break.Five minutes into the second half, Quins centre Aaron Cooke was yellow carded for a late tackle on Paul Sprague, but they still found the energy to get back into the match.From a scrum near the Weston 22, Manning burst through to touch down at the posts for Hickery to convert, but Mackay was soon converting his own try, following good skills by Fry.The score was now 30-15 and Quins added to their own discomfort when referee Friend waved two more yellow cards at James Hickery and Jay Wilkins.Weston took immediate advantage when Mackay handed Fry his second try, but as Quins returned to full strength, they had the final word when their outstanding full-back Manning crashed over for his second try which Hickery converted.But the Seasiders resisted a fierce onslaught in the final minutes and, overall, they were indebted to man of the match Mackay who, in addition to his 20-point haul, had a good hand in two of his team's other tries.The 19-year-old Colt finished the season on 245 points in his first term of senior rugby, an outstanding performance.Weston: C Crichton; K Middlemiss, J Reid, M Armstrong (C Young 67), P Sprague; J Mackay (H Warman 73), R Bennett; D Price (J Gallagher 77), D Burge, S Williams (N Lavender 77), A Glen (D Glen (41), A Russell, E Smith, G Wright (D Steele 46), D Fry.

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter