Weston Wizards finish as league champions
Weston Wizards finished the junior table tennis season unbeaten and as champions.
This season, the Weston & District Table Tennis Association entered a team, the Weston Wizards, into the Bristol & District Junior League.
The league was played over six Sundays throughout the season and was organised as eight teams in Division 1 and 10 teams in Division 2.
The players: Isaac Nicholas (N&B TTC) and Tom Lee (N&B TTC /C&C Banwell), were 12-year-old beginners having only played for about six months. They were placed in Division 2 with hopes of finishing in mid–table.
They started nervously in the early sessions, but grew in confidence as the competition progressed and ended the competition undefeated and in first place.
You may also want to watch:
Individually, Tom only lost three matches out of 30, while Isaac lost four out of 34, putting them at the top of the averages for the division.
Tom and Isaac, both pupils of the Churchill Academy, have worked hard over the lastsix months both in practice and in coaching.
- 1 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 2 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 3 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 4 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 7 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 10 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
It is worth mentioning that in the final session, Tom was on holiday so Simon Palmer (Hans Price Academy) was drafted in to complete the matches, which he duly did, beating all of his opponents and helping to maintain the team’s unbeaten record.
As a result of the excellent performances of the Wizards, several enquiries have been received from players and parents, asking what table tennis was available in Weston and where can they get coaching.
For more information, contact John Ratajczak, coaching and development officer on 07891 287715 or email firstname.lastname@example.org