Will becomes European champion
- Credit: Archant
Racing driver Will Burns became the European Ginetta GT5 champion at the world famous Spa-Francorchamps circuit in Belgium.
RACING driver Will Burns stunned all his European and British rivals by winning all three races and becoming European Ginetta GT5 champion at the world famous Spa-Francorchamps circuit in Belgium.
The Weston-born racer sustained a huge accident in practice, despite being fastest. His weekend was in doubt as his Academy Motorsport team had to work through the night to repair the car before early morning qualifying.
“It was an uncertain time for me with my car damaged. I have never had an accident as big as that one, although I still set the fastest lap of the day I played down any chance of success as I did not want a repeat of the crash.”
Will went into qualifying with only 15 minutes available, Will managed to place himself fourth and fifth on the grid for the first two races out of a 36-car grid.
You may also want to watch:
The first of three encounters saw Burns make a terrific start to grab the lead on the opening lap and created a respectful four second gap to secure his fifth win of the year.
Race two saw the rising star win again, Burns making another electric getaway to leave a train of cars battling behind him. Burns extended his lead to just over five seconds and put himself within grasp of taking European honours.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 4 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 5 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 6 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 7 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
- 10 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
Burns led all the way in race three to complete his second hat-trick of the season. This time he had to fight hard and took victory by 0.8 seconds to complete a superb triple triumph.
“With the difficulties I faced through practice, I am pleased to get three solid wins and the European championship for Academy Motorsport. It was amazing to get on the top step of the podium against all my other rivals from around Europe.
“It has put me in a good position now where I can build on this success and fight for the British Championship which is my next realistic goal.”
Will would like to thank Carl at Motor Bodies Weston and Four Fifty Partnership for their involvement and support for the remainder of the season.
If anyone is interested in finding out more, please contact Will through his website - www.willburnsracing.com