Will earns another podium place
- Credit: Archant
Motor racing star Will Burns earned another podium place, this time at Donington Park.
WILL Burns continues to challenge for this season’s Ginetta GT4 SuperCup title with a further podium score and high-placed finishes at the latest rounds at Donington Park in Leicestershire.
With rival and fellow second row sitter Tom Oliphant storming to the opening race victory, Will enjoyed a great dice with team-mate Breeze for third place, with the former champion hanging on to the final podium spot by only 0.3 seconds by the flag.
Starting race two in the position he finished the opener, Burns once again had an entertaining battle with all those around him, with the top five separated by only 1.7 seconds by the chequered flag.
Former British GT champion Michael Caine managed to pip Will to fourth place by 0.2 seconds by the race end.
You may also want to watch:
When the reversed grid draw was made for the weekend’s final race, to be broadcast live on ITV4, Caine was selected as the pole sitter, meaning Burns had to settle for a fifth place start.
On tyres which were now three races old, he scythed through the frontrunners, to comfortably sit in second position, just too far behind team-mate Orton to challenge for the victory.
- 1 Man charged with rape and sexual assaults
- 2 Former Weston loanee Waite confirms Cardiff City departure
- 3 May 17: Restaurants reopen indoors and soft play areas welcome youngsters
- 4 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 5 May 17: Backwell pool reopens after £400k works
- 6 Rapid Covid testing service goes mobile to reach more people across North Somerset
- 7 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 8 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 9 Potter hails 'invaluable' Cheddar experience will help at Wells City
- 10 What can I do when Covid lockdown eases on May 17?
Will said: “This has been a bit of a bogey circuit for me in previous years,” explains Burns. “I’ve also only had limited testing at Donington Park compared to other circuits on the calendar. So I knew that I was slightly on the back foot.
“Second place was a cracking result. I’m already looking forward to the next rounds at Thruxton. We had our pre-weekend test there earlier this month, and I’m targeting a hat-trick of top five results to bank more crucial title points.”