Will impresses at Silverstone
Motor racing driver Will Burns impresses his competitors at Silverstone.
WILL Burns, aged 21, from Weston, has been impressing the motor sport world with his performances in the ultra-competitive identical car championship the Ginetta Challenge.
He started his short career as a novice in the Castle Combe National Windscreens saloon car championship in Wiltshire last year. He immediately impressed with several wins and podium finishes at club level in his Ford Fiesta 1400cc.
Competing against considerably more powerful cars and seasoned drivers, he continued to add to his trophy cabinet with more wins in the 2011 season. After showing his potential, Will was given an opportunity to step up to national level by the British car manufacturer Ginetta, to showcase his talent around the UK.
He joined the race-winning team HHC Motorsport to enable him to adapt to the new rear wheel drive car. His first race with his new car and team was to at Donington Park in Derbyshire, where on his debut, and his first ever time racing in wet weather, he finished in an impressive sixth place out of 28.
You may also want to watch:
Last month he travelled to Silverstone International, the home of British racing. After an anxious start to qualifying, Will failed to qualify forcing him to the back of the grid (34th).
With the race underway, Will drove an astonishing race to finish in third place. In what was only his second meeting at professional level, competitors complimented him on his performance.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 5 Restaurant donates meals to key workers, teachers and pupils
- 6 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 7 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 8 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 9 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 10 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
Will said: “I was extremely disappointed for the team after failing to qualify, but it made me more determined to give it everything. To finish with my first podium at Silverstone was the highlight of my life.”
Will is now spending his winter testing and preparing for the 2012 Ginetta Challenge. With the help of sponsorship from local suppliers during the initial stages of his driving career, Will is now looking to raise his profile and is searching for more support towards sponsorship so he can take his career to the next level.
His ultimate aim is to eventually take part in the prestigious Le Mans 24 hour series. Any potential sponsors are invited to contact him for invitations to a Silverstone track experience driving the Ginetta alongside Will himself.