Will scores career-best podium spot
- Credit: Archant
Racing driver Will Burns claimed a career-best second place in the Ginetta GT4 Supercup meeting at Snetterton.
ACADEMY Motorsport driver Will Burns scored a second Ginetta GT4 Supercup podium in as many meetings, claiming a career-best second place at Snetterton.
Following on from the first podium of his Supercup career at Croft, series rookie Burns took second in the final race of the weekend, broadcast live on ITV4.
After a qualifying session in which Burns opted for a short strategy to save on tyre wear, he started Saturday’s opening race from fifth on the grid. Will’s target throughout the weekend was to put him in a good position for Sunday’s final reverse-grid final race.
A fifth place finish in race one was followed up by another fifth in race two and was particularly unlucky not to grab fourth in the remaining laps.
You may also want to watch:
Will missed out on the reversed grid pole position, ironically fourth place, and so once again had to start in fifth. Following a number of racing incidents, Will secured second place behind winner Tom Oliphant.
Will said: “It’s a heck of a finish to the weekend. We were on the pace from practice and opted for one stint in qualifying instead of two to save tyres.
- 1 Man charged with rape and sexual assaults
- 2 Former Weston loanee Waite confirms Cardiff City departure
- 3 May 17: Restaurants reopen indoors and soft play areas welcome youngsters
- 4 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 5 May 17: Backwell pool reopens after £400k works
- 6 Rapid Covid testing service goes mobile to reach more people across North Somerset
- 7 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 8 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 9 Potter hails 'invaluable' Cheddar experience will help at Wells City
- 10 What can I do when Covid lockdown eases on May 17?
“I consolidated my position in the race one sprint format and conserved the tyres for Sunday. My rivals defended well in race two, but I couldn’t believe how second in race three was handed to me.
“It’s another great points haul. I’d like to thank Academy Motorsport for another great weekend, and my sponsor, Cases Ltd for their support.”
The next rounds of the Michelin Ginetta GT4 Supercup will take place at Knockhill in Scotland on August 23-24.