Will scores career-best podium spot
- Credit: Archant
Racing driver Will Burns claimed a career-best second place in the Ginetta GT4 Supercup meeting at Snetterton.
ACADEMY Motorsport driver Will Burns scored a second Ginetta GT4 Supercup podium in as many meetings, claiming a career-best second place at Snetterton.
Following on from the first podium of his Supercup career at Croft, series rookie Burns took second in the final race of the weekend, broadcast live on ITV4.
After a qualifying session in which Burns opted for a short strategy to save on tyre wear, he started Saturday’s opening race from fifth on the grid. Will’s target throughout the weekend was to put him in a good position for Sunday’s final reverse-grid final race.
A fifth place finish in race one was followed up by another fifth in race two and was particularly unlucky not to grab fourth in the remaining laps.
You may also want to watch:
Will missed out on the reversed grid pole position, ironically fourth place, and so once again had to start in fifth. Following a number of racing incidents, Will secured second place behind winner Tom Oliphant.
Will said: “It’s a heck of a finish to the weekend. We were on the pace from practice and opted for one stint in qualifying instead of two to save tyres.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 5 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
“I consolidated my position in the race one sprint format and conserved the tyres for Sunday. My rivals defended well in race two, but I couldn’t believe how second in race three was handed to me.
“It’s another great points haul. I’d like to thank Academy Motorsport for another great weekend, and my sponsor, Cases Ltd for their support.”
The next rounds of the Michelin Ginetta GT4 Supercup will take place at Knockhill in Scotland on August 23-24.