Will scores five tries in Winscombe victory
- Credit: Archant
Winscombe enjoyed a comprehensive 10-try victory over Chew Valley.
Winscombe 69 pts
Chew Valley 2nd XV 0 pts
Despite injuries forcing a number of changes in their starting 15, Winscombe returned to their winning ways with a comfortable 10-try haul, with Sam Dearsley converting eight of them.
Winscombe were soon on the attack with Callum Stewart and Owen Howell both tackled just short of the line, before Will Thomas went over for the first of his five tries.
You may also want to watch:
A penalty awarded at a line-out gave Winscombe another throw-in on the 22 and the as the ball was moved left, James Flower made a clean line-break to offload for Howell to touch down.
The next score came from a penalty kick by Dearsley after a long clearance by Winscombe was well chased down.
- 1 Man charged with rape and sexual assaults
- 2 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 3 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 4 Rapid Covid testing service goes mobile to reach more people across North Somerset
- 5 Tributes pour in for ‘dedicated family man’ who died in mountain fall
- 6 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 7 What can I do when Covid lockdown eases on May 17?
- 8 Jobs boom as Weston firm looks to expand
- 9 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 10 Weston pub launches eating challenge to win £100 bar tab
A counter-attack from a missed penalty kick set up the next scoring position. Stewart and Howell countered to send Thomas and Adam Scrase on the charge. Then Jim Merryfield and Flower sent Rhys Lewis away before the ball came back to Stewart again. Eventually, after good work by Paul Cashman, Merryfield sold a dummy to cut through a ragged defensive.
After the break, Winscombe enjoyed a purple patch, running in five tries by Thomas (3), Flower and Rhys Lewis. Thomas scored his fifth try in the 63rd minute, before the home side were awarded a penalty try to finish the scoring.