Willows run halted at Long Ashton
- Credit: Archant
Weston Willows Under-11 girls winning run was ended with defeat by Long Ashton.
Weston Under-11 girls lost to Long Ashton boys in the final over of their latest league match.
Long Ashton won the toss and invited Weston to bat and Millie and Maddie Wood started to beat the infield. Aimee Davidson and Alice Bird continued their good form with solid defence in the face of some fast bowling.
Top scorer was Bonnie Gready with 11, including a fine cover drive and an overhead smash for four. Her partnership with Alana Burstow, who scored seven, was the highlight of a cautious 239 from their 20 overs (start on 200).
After the break, there were wickets for Holly McLaughlin, Brenna Bayfield and two for Gready, but the best performance came from Alana Burstow, with 4-12, including three in a single over.
You may also want to watch:
The fielding was led by Millie Wood’s inspired display at wicket keeper and was rewarded with a fine catch at cover by Brenna Bayfield.
The game was ultimately decided by Long Ashton’s captain, who plays for Somerset with a brutal 21 runs from 14 balls, the hosts running out winners by six runs in a game that could have gone either way.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 4 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 5 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 6 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 7 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 8 Police appeal for help to trace drug offender
- 9 Surgery's patient participation group disbanded
- 10 Man jailed for filming women without their knowledge
It was a great performance by the whole team, but the Forte Financial star player of the day was Alana Burstow.