Winning start to the new season
Promoted Weston made a winning start to the new Somerset Super Darts League season.
WESTON started off a new Somerset Super Darts League season in Division 1 after gaining promotion last season.
With last season’s sponsors KNC Miner, 49 Club and Cash4vans.com backing the team again, Weston were looking to impress and start the season strongly away against Courage Super League in Paulton.
Mike Norton got the ball rolling with a bit of a tussle, but coming out on top with a 28.00 average winning 4-3. Board two also saw one of Weston’s former players return to the fold, Chris Skeates (20.67) winning 4-2.
Courage fought back taking the next game 4-2, but Weston turned the screw on board one with Kev Austen (20.32) 4-1, Phil Mitchell 4-2 and Rich Harris (20.75) 4-3 all winning.
You may also want to watch:
Board 2 was going just as good with a returning from injury George Turnbull putting in a solid performance with a 4-1 win, hitting a 26.15 average. This was backed up by Paul Griffiths (23.77) 4-0, aptain Nick English (23.68) 4-3, and the board tidied up by Seamus Slattery (23.72) winning 4-1.
Courage managed to win another game, but Ian Cope soon put paid to any comeback with 4-1 victory with a 25.78 average, sealing victory for Weston.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
Pairs have now been reintroduced back into super league format, giving Weston a chance to extend their lead further. Austen/Strong (2-0) and Slattery/Harris (2-1) both won and Courage fought back taking the next two pairs, but Norton/Griffiths (2-0) and debutant Chris Hole pairing up with Skeates won 2-0.
Weston had a great start to the season winning 55-30. Cash4vans.com man of the match went to Mike Norton for his highest singles average and pairs win.
The next game is home to Yeovil at the 49 Club on October 3, draw at 7.45pm.