Winning start to the new season
Promoted Weston made a winning start to the new Somerset Super Darts League season.
WESTON started off a new Somerset Super Darts League season in Division 1 after gaining promotion last season.
With last season’s sponsors KNC Miner, 49 Club and Cash4vans.com backing the team again, Weston were looking to impress and start the season strongly away against Courage Super League in Paulton.
Mike Norton got the ball rolling with a bit of a tussle, but coming out on top with a 28.00 average winning 4-3. Board two also saw one of Weston’s former players return to the fold, Chris Skeates (20.67) winning 4-2.
Courage fought back taking the next game 4-2, but Weston turned the screw on board one with Kev Austen (20.32) 4-1, Phil Mitchell 4-2 and Rich Harris (20.75) 4-3 all winning.
You may also want to watch:
Board 2 was going just as good with a returning from injury George Turnbull putting in a solid performance with a 4-1 win, hitting a 26.15 average. This was backed up by Paul Griffiths (23.77) 4-0, aptain Nick English (23.68) 4-3, and the board tidied up by Seamus Slattery (23.72) winning 4-1.
Courage managed to win another game, but Ian Cope soon put paid to any comeback with 4-1 victory with a 25.78 average, sealing victory for Weston.
- 1 Man charged with rape and sexual assaults
- 2 Former Weston loanee Waite confirms Cardiff City departure
- 3 May 17: Restaurants reopen indoors and soft play areas welcome youngsters
- 4 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 5 May 17: Backwell pool reopens after £400k works
- 6 Rapid Covid testing service goes mobile to reach more people across North Somerset
- 7 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 8 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 9 Potter hails 'invaluable' Cheddar experience will help at Wells City
- 10 What can I do when Covid lockdown eases on May 17?
Pairs have now been reintroduced back into super league format, giving Weston a chance to extend their lead further. Austen/Strong (2-0) and Slattery/Harris (2-1) both won and Courage fought back taking the next two pairs, but Norton/Griffiths (2-0) and debutant Chris Hole pairing up with Skeates won 2-0.
Weston had a great start to the season winning 55-30. Cash4vans.com man of the match went to Mike Norton for his highest singles average and pairs win.
The next game is home to Yeovil at the 49 Club on October 3, draw at 7.45pm.