Winning start to the new season for Uphill teams
- Credit: Archant
Two of Uphill Badminton Club’s league teams made winning starts to the new season.
UPHILL Badminton Club’s D team played local rivals Clevedon Feathers C in their first Division 4 match of the season.
The Clevedon ladies proved too strong for Uphill, winning all three rubbers 2-0. However, Bethan Dunning and Jess Hargreaves put up a good fight, going down 14-21, 24-26.
The Uphill men of Luke Morgan, Rohan Weekes and Paul Wright outplayed Clevedon, winning all three rubbers 2-0.
The decisive rubbers in this match were played by the mixed teams. Beth and Rohan narrowly won 21-13, 21-23, 21-19 and Jess and Luke also won in three games to win the match 5-4.
You may also want to watch:
Uphill captain Dannie Stone said: “The decisive rubber was played out with the number two pairings, with Uphill just managing to win in three games.”
Uphill E team were in action against Avonvale in their first Division 5 match of the season.
- 1 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 2 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 3 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 4 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 5 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 6 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 7 Council reveals cost for new primary school
- 8 Chef with Michelin star experience shares 'ultimate winters seafood' recipe
- 9 Secondary school to expand to allow 900 more pupils
- 10 School producing science champions
The team consisting of all junior players, got their season off to a strong start with a opening 7-2 home win over Avonvale.
The team of Lauren Rickwood, Luke Morgan, Chloe Palmer, Sam Hedges, Georgia Wood and Will Bennett all played well and showed good improvement from last season.
The match got off to winning ways for Uphill with Lauren and Luke overpowering their opponents.
Avonvale hit back by taking the next two mixed doubles, including the closest rubber of the night, in a rubber Georgia Wood and Will Bennett lost 21-9, 9-21, 22-20.
The men’s doubles were all won by Uphill with Uphill’s juniors outplaying the of experienced opponents.
The ladies’ doubles were also all won by Uphill, with Lauren and Chloe winning 21-15, 17-21, 21-14 and Lauren and Georgia winning 21-18, 21-9, with the last ladies’ being conceded by Avonvale due to injury
Special mention to Lauren Rickwood and Luke Morgan, who won all three of their rubbers in the match.